Wanted pci graphics card

leon

Wanted pci graphics card

Wanted pci graphics card  PROBLEM SORTED THANKS
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Re: Wanted pci graphics card

PCI aren't as popular as AGP these days as they're slower and share bandwidth with other PCI devices. Ebay is almost guaranteed to be your best place to find a bargain.
I currently use a really old PCI GFX card which has just 1MB of memory on it for my dual monitor setup. It won't do games or anything which is graphics intensive, but it displays the windows desktop and any general programs I use.
If you have an AGP slot, I'd recommend that, but if PCI is still your way then ebay will find you something decent 2nd hand at a good price as they're not that popular these days. I only used this cheap old thing cos I found it in a drawer of old bits someone donated to me and I wanted to see if it worked and if I could get dual monitors setup... I'm still planning to go get another GFX card though which is either a better one generally (with at least 32MB) OR one which has dual outputs..
Good luck!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 58

I have an old ATI Radeon 32MB PCI card which you can have for the postage costs - no guarantee that it works as it has been sitting at the bottom of my parts box for about 5 years - (just checked - cost £91 new - amazing how prices change isn't it)
clockley
Grafter

And I think that I may have one as well, if Jims doesn't work.
PM me for collection if it is needed.
Thanks
Carl
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Got an AGP card as well, can't remember the manufacturer, think it may have been Phoenix or that may have been the model name think it was 64mb but not too sure, got driver disk as well.
Why is it that AGP slots don't seem to be fitted to MB these days? This PC (HP) doesn't have one -less than 6 months old- in my previous PC the solder points for an AGP were on the MB but not the actual slot mounting, could I have fitted one and got it to work?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Simple reason... Cost.
It reduces the cost of manufacturing the mobo which, when you sell 1000s, soon adds up thus making it more price competitive. Supplying a mobo with on-board graphics also saves cost because it often uses main memory for the graphics memory (so less components needed meaning less cost) so you don't have the expense of buying and fitting an external graphics card which needs its own memory and AGP interface components.
You will often find these mobos only have 3 PCI slots instead of 5, again saving costs.