Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WANTED: Renault Safrane 2.5Ltr, Mk2 Exec

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

WANTED: Renault Safrane 2.5Ltr, Mk2 Exec

I'm after a car like this:

Must be 2.5 auto, on the road, working (obviously), have electrically adjusting seats and be the volvo engine.
There were plenty on ebay when I was short on cash. Now I have plenty and our car has gone to scrap and I need something to drive urgently there are NONE! S*Ds LAW comes to mind.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: WANTED: Renault Safrane 2.5Ltr, Mk2 Exec

Got one!
hamstergod

Hi,
Nice cars, had one years ago.
If you want to work on it yourself, learn French though.  The only service books I could find were in French (Even Renault's own main dealer garage workshop ones).  Not enough demand to translate. 
If there are any problems beyond basic servicing, chances are the garage you take it too in the UK will be just be bodging it.
Most important thing when buying is checking the auto box.  MUST be A1, no jerks or delays (esp reverse).  The automatic gearbox is the weak point on these.
Love the talking computer though Smiley.
Iain.
Community Veteran

Yeah I've had some garages do some odd stuff with it. 2 have failed to get the cambelt replaced Sad
2nd garage also did a sump repair... and bodged it. Oil filter fell off while driving along and left me oil less. Luckily I was doing under 20 and just going accross a roundabout so I was able to stop the engine before damage occured.
Only gearbox problem i have is around 40 MPH. It gets a bit confused and goes from 3rd to 4th and vice versa before settling on its preferred gear.
It had 68k on the clock when we got it. Now 73k so the gearbox should be ok. Its an aisin warner box and apparently these ones (unlike the previous renault boxes in the Mk1) are quite reliable. Reverse however can be frightening sometimes - It goes in and makes an almighty thud - kinda feels like someone has just rammed the car. I've spoken to some other safrane drivers and they seem to experience the same thing... No delays though - change is instant.
The car is wicked! Talking computer has saved us, and the car already. Once on a motorway when the bonnet wasn't down properly - It started talking "Bonnet.... Bonnet.... Bonnet". 2nd time when the oil filter fell off - "Warning your oil level is critically low, turn off the engine immediately anc consult your renault dealer"
I got one service manual... ish. Its a collection of PDFs which someone has put together to work with a program called dialogys. Its a bit confusing but it does at least have engine info.
Only problem I've had which has really annoyed me is the speedo. The day we picked it up, 2 miles down the motorway I found the speedo needle had stuck. It works but only with the plastic covers off - heat build up seems to affect the plastic somehow..
Great car though. In fact its actually the QuestorX I've got. Very rare and has the built in sat nav. Great car but like the picture above (the black car at the back) it has 2 smaller wimpy looking grills lol.
Still, it wont live long as I can't get the cam belt changed and I'm not the luckiest of people...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

With a record like that, I would recommend you make sure you have some form of Breakdown Insurance Cover, Green Flag, AA, RAC, or similar..... Mine costs me £69.00 per year, and if they can`t fix it on the roadside, then they piggyback you all the way to, either your destination, or your home.... your choice.
When I had my previous car, (Montego 2.0Diesel Estate) I used them six times in a year to get me home.  Well worth the money I spent on the previous two years premiums,  without a callout !
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
When I had my previous car, (Montego 2.0Diesel Estate) I used them six times in a year to get me home. 

So it's you I'm subsidising is it!  Angry
I think the only time I've used ours (in many a year) was for my wife to call out someone to look at her dads car that wouldn't start. We've got joint "any vehicle, as driver or passenger" cover and she'd gone to visit her parents by train.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hardly !.... I paid for the insurance for two years without call out, before that year of bad luck..... have scrapped the car, and now am Proud Owner of a Skoda Fabia 1.9 sdi......  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley Have called out the breakdown twice this year.... locked myself out..... and brake lights were not working,..... (the switch under the brake pedal had stuck in, and would not come out when the brake pedal depressed).... both took an hour to arrive, but fixed in 10 minutes.....  Smiley
Community Veteran

I'm with green flag through my insurers Direct Line.
Unfortunately had to use them 3 times in 2 days when I damaged the oil sump - then the garage messed up the repair and left me in another fix!
Still, its running tickety boo now...