cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request: Cheap Servers

mcgurka
Grafter

Request: Cheap Servers

Rackmount if possible, just trying to up the number of servers for a processing farm I am working on, drop a reply if you can help!
12 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Request: Cheap Servers

I've got a dell powervault 745n you can make an offer for if you like... it's a 1u rackmount, 2.4ghz celeron and has 4x40GB barracudas in it. Comes with server 2k3 appliance edition and nod32.
Give me a shout, I need to sell it tbh. I can get more specs if you're interested, just need to have a look inside the thing.
holdtight
Grafter

I also have a 1u rackmount server not doing much at the moment if your interested
It has dual 1.8GHz Pentium 4`s (47Cool on a tyan tiger board with iirc 1GB ram and five 36GB SCSI drives in a raid five array
Like Matt i am open to offers and can give more specs once ive had another look at it as its been a while since it was used
mcgurka
Grafter

Well, Im not too great with offers, just PM me with what you would like to get, and I will see what I can do?
chriswik

Don't know if you're still looking, but if so, I've got a Dell PowerEdge 6350 that I'd like to dispose of.
Spec: 4 x PIII Xeon 550MHz, 2GB ECC RAM, 3 x 9.1GB 10k SCSI drives (Dell PERC 2/SC RAID controller)
It's a 4U rackmount case, with rails. There are a couple 100mbps PCI NICs installed too.
fusian
Grafter

I'm after a 1U server, must be intel based, not cobalt - have one of those... Just in need of a linux box to do development on...
LiamM
Grafter

Quote from: chriswik
Don't know if you're still looking, but if so, I've got a Dell PowerEdge 6350 that I'd like to dispose of.
Spec: 4 x PIII Xeon 550MHz, 2GB ECC RAM, 3 x 9.1GB 10k SCSI drives (Dell PERC 2/SC RAID controller)
It's a 4U rackmount case, with rails. There are a couple 100mbps PCI NICs installed too.

How much are you looking for?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

If you're looking for new and cheap, you could look at http://www.serversdirect.co.uk/ ; I've just bought the ML110 and with the 'special offers' on double memory and disk drives it's a bargain.
mcgurka
Grafter

In fact, thats the systems most of the platforms run on now... its pretty gratifying for me to take delivery of 14 G4 servers for the network! And to know that the storage backend I have on mail dwarfs the PN backend!
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Quote from: MauriceC
If you're looking for new and cheap, you could look at http://www.serversdirect.co.uk/ ;  I've just bought the ML110 and with the 'special offers' on double memory and disk drives it's a bargain.

Cheers for the ref to that site ...... got 5 servers here in dire need of upgrade, and spotted the perfect replacement in the form of 4 of these;
http://www.serversdirect.co.uk/HP_ProLiant_ML110_G4_432535-035/version.asp
..... just gotta find the cash for them now, lol
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: mcgurka
In fact, thats the systems most of the platforms run on now... its pretty gratifying for me to take delivery of 14 G4 servers for the network! And to know that the storage backend I have on mail dwarfs the PN backend!

Not into this, but thought I would have a look at the threads out of curiosity......
a though crossed my mind...... in light of the recent "overnight" problem PN had..... could you offer them a service ?  Cheesy  Wink  Cheesy
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

What's the catch in using one of these cheap servers from www.servers.co.uk as a desktop?
They seem very cheap, yet have an excellent warranty.
I assume that a graphics card could be added onto one of these PC's?

mcgurka
Grafter

Yep, the G4's are pci express motherboards, so I dont see much of a problem putting a pci express card in them.
most of all, they run pretty quiet! They dont boast much about XP compatibility, but since they run server 2k3 alright, and it was built on xp.. it should be ok..
Offer PN a service... now theres a thought Tongue