cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clearout of all sorts of stuff! (IT Related)

N/A

Clearout of all sorts of stuff! (IT Related)

I'm in the process of clearing out a load of kit from my server room.
Some I've just decomissioned, other stuff has been decommissioned for some time.
I'll keep adding to the list as time goes on, starting with a very brief description of each item I'm getting rid of.
Collection would need to be from the BD4 postal area (between Leeds and Bradford)
If you are interested in any items, let me know, and I'll expand on condition etc of the item, and perhaps get some pictures where appropriate.
No prices in mind, and sensible offers considered. Might even be prepared to let some stuff go for nothing (£0) if you can collect reasonably soon.
Here goes.
Dell Poweredge 4600 (Rack mount, includes rails)
Sonicwall Pro 2030 hardware Firewall
Netpilot VPN hardware firewall/internet proxy. (option to upgrade to include AV and AS solutions)
Multiple 17" CRT Monitors
Multiple 15" CRT Monitors
Netgear 8 port Gigabit Switches (x2)
OKI C7300 Printer (requires a replacement part.)
42U 19" Generic Rack cabinet (glass front door, steel sides and back door)
Two Dell Optiplex GX1's (surely a collectors item!)

If you think you might be interested in any of these thus far, do let me know and I'll add some detail.
Most of it will be skipped in the next month or so, so time is of the essence.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Clearout of all sorts of stuff! (IT Related)

Hmm, what spec is the 4600?  I might have a use for that..
B.
N/A

The 4600 is a bit of a tricky one!
At the minute;
Dual 1800Mhz Zeon Procs
L2 Cache 512k
Perc 3/Di Hardware RAID
1024MB of PC2100
10/100/1000 NIC
10/100 NIC
Quad power supplies
n+1 hot-pluggable redundant fans
Includes rails for standard rack (heh, was bought before Dell even started rapidrails!)

So far, so good hey?
There is a slight [understatement!] problem:
The ribbon cable which connects the combined CD-ROM & 3.5" to the motherboard has bitten the dust (actually it was a fairly impressive smoke cloud, which once cleared revealed the melted remains of the cable)
I've searched many places to try and get another of these cables, to no avail.
Dell no longer stock them, the place they shipped the remaindered parts to no longer stock them. Countless searches of internet etailers have come up blank too.
You'll notice I made no mention of HDDs with the server:
Even with the latest BIOS, this box does not support boot from USB, leaving me no way to boot the machine, other than to the HDDs, and clearly since I can't boot to any utility to erase them - I can't let them go with the box. (Unless I can be creative with another machine - a possibility)
Either way, unless you can find a way to attach a peripheral device to boot from, the box is pretty much useless for all but spares.
I still have the cable, in case somebody feels a Blue Peter moment coming on and making up their own as a replacement.
More to follow on the other bits and bobs!
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi James_H,
Definitely interested in at least one of those switches, depending on size... if they're the smaller dark blue metal ones I'm interested in both. Please let me know if you've a price in mind, if not I'll have a look about and make an offer.
Cheers,
Matt
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi James
I am interested in your Netgear 8 port Gigabit Switches, how much do you want including P&P, I don't hav a car.
mcgurka
Grafter

Morning! Im interested in the server (I reckon I may have a way to make it boot so you can wipe it, if you are interested?) Ive done some digging into the background of the server, and the blue peter moment sounds good! Also the Proxy and Netscreen firewall!
Scott
The_10th
Grafter

Did you get the PM I sent in relation to some items?
N/A

Hi guys - sorry I hadn't got back to folks sooner!
I promise (scouts honour) to do a proper update later in the day.
Just to let you know the 4600 has more or less gone to a good home now - sorry about that guys.
For everything else, I'll work through the thread in order and get in touch with each interested party individually to figure out the best way forward.