cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Hosting

LiamM
Grafter

Web Hosting

I'm just about to purchase a Dedicated Server to host a few of my own sites (including the popular RockReview.co.uk) and wanted to know if anyone would be interested in purchasing some good value hosting to help me subsidise my costs a little.

I will offer the following :

500Mb Webspace
15Gb Bandwidth
15 Pop3 Mailboxes
Unlimited Mail Forwarders
FTP
2 MySQL Databases
ASP, ASP.net, PHP
Windows Server 2003 Platform
1 Hosted Domain
Helm Control Panel

For £10/month. No setup fees or anything, no annual contract.

Would anyone be interested in anything like this?

Can also put together bespoke packages as per requirements. PM me for details.
18 REPLIES
craigbrass
Grafter

Web Hosting

Although you are going for windows, this will mean you will not be able to get alot of clients as it were. Most people these days go for Linux because of its really cheap costs and full and reliable support of PHP and MySQL.
LiamM
Grafter

Web Hosting

I don't plan to stuff it full of clients. I want it mainly for personal use, but to add a few sites to help subsidise the cost. A friend of mine runs a Windows box of a lesser spec and hosts 20 sites without any issues. That would be fine.

And I've never had any problems with PHP or MySQL running on my Windows Server box at home, or where we currently host.
craigbrass
Grafter

Web Hosting

There are no "problems" as such, just PHP and MySQL tend to be more reliable on a linux box.
LiamM
Grafter

Web Hosting

Any evidence to back that up?

a) I find working with Windows a lot easier
b) My local Windows Server box has never let me down
c) We moved hosting our site from a Linux provider twice due to PHP speed and reliability issues, since on Windows, we've had no problems at all and in the last year have only experienced 15mins of downtime.
d) I like HELM, and it only runs on Windows

There are more reasons, but they're me main.
craigbrass
Grafter

Web Hosting

Personally I don't but if you head over to WebHostingTalk.com, alot of them will tell you PHP and MySQL work best on linux.
N/A

Web Hosting

I guess as for most things, working *well* is sufficient, and *best* is just something to aspire to.
Assuming that *well* is OK, then its down to personal choice - which IMO scores almost as many points as the OS.
If happiness is an OS called Windows, then so be it. (we all knew hamlets were bad for us, but carried on regardless) Cheesy
craigbrass
Grafter

Web Hosting

We are talking about SERVER operating system here and not personal computer operating systems.
N/A

Web Hosting

Duh - obviously - why would anybody want to run a server on a desktop OS?
Don't really understand your point.......
craigbrass
Grafter

Web Hosting

Oh, sorry, your responce confused me lol.
N/A

Web Hosting

Any evidence to back that up?

a) I find working with Windows a lot easier
b) My local Windows Server box has never let me down
c) We moved hosting our site from a Linux provider twice due to PHP speed and reliability issues, since on Windows, we've had no problems at all and in the last year have only experienced 15mins of downtime.
d) I like HELM, and it only runs on Windows

There are more reasons, but they're me main.

I love useing windows, programs like frontpage are realy good for letting html inept people like me build stuff on servers Cheesy
Community Veteran

Web Hosting

It comes down to a free choice, some people prefer Linux hosting, some like Microsoft.

Plus.Net chose to offer Linux hosting, Liam is offering Microsoft.

I suggest you chose your hosting provider based on your personal requirements. Rather than trying to change someone else’s preference.

Chilly
phatty
Grafter

Web Hosting

Just checked out your RockReview website, I liked it a lot .

I have also passed it on to a few of my friends who will no doubt like it too.

One tiny tiny question, why have the word cock in the banner and then directly under it the word is spelt c**k? :lol:
LiamM
Grafter

Web Hosting

There is actually good reason. We don't want to get filtered for using the word Cock, or restrict ourself with Google (Safesearch etc...) so references in the code and text are C**k. However, a filter won't pick up on the text within the image, so we openly use the word in the banner image.
N/A

Web Hosting

i might be intrested

im currently in prep to build my portfolio which is mainly asp based.

how do you pay you for it what about a yearly amount an cheaper?

may need more space as im a apps programmer rather than a web designer and need some where where i may need to grow..........

current apps include

quality managment system
non conformance reporting system
online hopping store when i get around to it
knowledge based customer service system

as can be seen these can grow to any size if i end up using them.