cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanted: sound card (problem solved 25/03/2004)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Since I upgraded to Win XP I've had to discard my sound card as it wasn't XP compatible, it was a Creative Soundblaster Live Value, which was perfectly adequate for my needs and sits at the bottom end of the Creative range of cards.

If there's anybody out there who has upgraded their sound card and looking to offload an old card please let me know and we may be able to work something out.

But it must be XP compatible and have it's setup disks of course, and I'd prefer something with a well known name manufacturer if possible, so no OEM's please, but it doesn't have to be too fancy, I'm not particularly interested in using my PC for hi-fi (5.1 etc if it's got it fine, but it's not essential)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
12 REPLIES
N/A

The live Value PCI should be compatible with XP. Try the NT or Win2K drivers for it.
Community Veteran

Hi cqg4uzg,

Thanks for your reply, I was using the sound card prior to the XP with Win 95, 98SE, ME and 2000, but for some reason XP turned it's nose up and flatly refused to work with it and crashed to a blue screen every time I switched on, whilst I agree it should be Ok, I got fed up with it and took it out and everythings been fine, oddly Creative don't list drivers for XP for this card only 2k and NT.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

There is one additional point that might be causing my crash problem with this card, whilst I use an external ADSL modem (the very excellent Zoom) I have retained the internal (Hayes) 56k modem for fax and emergency use.

So I suppose this might be the problem rather than XP, as I believe sound cards and internal modems can be old enemies.

N/A

The IRQ arrangement and sharing with XP are different to 98. (Can't comment about 2K)
Try moving the soundcard or modem to a different slot or, to test, remove the 56K modem.
Community Veteran

Hi cqg4uzg,

I'll give it a try, but I have a sneaky feeling I've already done that a while ago, but it might be worh changing slots, I'll let you know.

PS. my son has just got rid of his type R (a black one) thought it was too damned uncomfortable on British (badly maintained) roads...or at leat his wife did!!!

N/A

my son has just got rid of his type R (a black one) thought it was too damned uncomfortable on British (badly maintained) roads...or at leat his wife did!!!

Same problem, I love it, wife & kid don't.... I rule though.

Your motherboard manual will tell you which slots are shared IRQ. Choose slots that have there own IRQ (there will be at least 1).
N/A

I have a Creative Soundblaster 5.1.

It is in the office, so I am not sure of the exact spec and/or model number.

Let me know if your interested, and I will post more tomorrow in work.
Community Veteran

Hi Acarr,

That would be excellent, I've tried every combination of sound card/internal modem I can think of: changing slots, leaving the modem out, just the sound card etc. etc. but XP crashes every time with the sound card in, to the point that I'm beginning to wonder if the card is damaged somewhere, although I can't think why it should be, and it doesn't "look" damaged or blown.

So the upshot is I'm up for trying another card.

So I'll wait to hear from you.

But thanks again for your suggestions cqg4uzg.

If you're interested XP crashes to a blue information screen that has much techy information end ends by saying Windows has dumped memory to prevent further damage, it is impossible to "switch off" the PC at this point and will only restart by first disconnecting the mains power to the PC.

Everything is fine after the sound card is removed, apart from an automatic and time consuming checkdisk.

This all follows what appears to be a normal boot into XP and fails just after I "logon", so I would guess this is not a faulty board as it would probably fail a POST test before it got to this stage?

Community Veteran

Further info as I know your interested in this kind of thing Accar:

MB is ASUS P3V4X

other ISA cards are:

ASUS IDE controller board (controlling the 3 HDD's)
Belkin USB board
ATI AGP graphics board
Hayes internal modem

And I mention again that all was fine before the upgrade to XP

N/A

OK, before I go onto the spec, the BSOD in XP is very good indicator of driver issues. However, that doesn't mean they are issues with the sound card.

The fact it is the soundcard being used that pushes it over the edge does not finalise its fate.

I sugest checking the websites of all other components first, and looking for possible incompatabilities.

Another note is to look at the updates information for your motherboard firmware. Many motherboards have updated firstware relating to some soundcards.

The exact soundcard I have is a Soundblaster Live 5.1. Creative model number is SB0060

It includes the following connectors
Rear:
Rear output
Front output (directional audio)
Mic in
Audio in
Line out/digital jack

Internal:
Audio extention pin block - IIRC, this is for a mini and coaxal SPDIF in and out block. This adition isn't included as we never had it ourselves
CD SPDIF in - Most soundcards have a MIDI SPDIF in jumper. This one is for the CD. It connects to the two pin connector on the rear of CDROMS - Digital CD playback, without the use of the CPU
TAD Connector
CD IN connector
AUX IN connector

This comes from a MESH computer that has audio built in. It only need business class audio now, and I don't even think that will be used for anything other than windows saying there is an error Tongue
Community Veteran

Thanks for that Phillip,

I'll check out the MB etc web sites for possible solutions and get back to you, it may be a day or two as I'm going to be away with a new job to look after, and this is largely "pleasure"

Thanx again

N/A

i had all that petlew.....here are some of my tips....mine is also oem....

i got the 50mb live drive download off the creative asia site...dont think they hold them in europe....maybe now they do...got mine when xp first came out and creative was certainly not being helpful for oem purchased cards.

xp has a generic set of drivers that should work....ensure you are using service pack 1 or 1a. you can do an update scan and see if there is an creative update there for you.

i hope the error your getting isnt the error switch setting where, on error, it reboots the pc.....you can turn that off by doing the following stuff.....

go to my computer icon, right click, properties...

advanced tab...error reporting button...disable error reporting and check the 'notify' check box underneath...
there is also a startup and recovery section there....click settings....in the system failure section....uncheck auto reboot and send admin alert...leave the top one...

hardware tab....device manager section...driver signing button....choose the ignore check circle only....
and at the bottom...under admin option (as you should be in admin account) check set as system default...

to cap it all....here is the site with all the drivers and proggies mate....
http://asia.creative.com/support/drivers/welcome.asp?region=2&LangID=1033&OS=10∏=16&Select=Get+Files...

just get em all as you need.....burn them to disc for the future if they solve the problem....

finally, have you ensured that any onboard sound card is switched off in bios? have you updated your bios?
you should allow xp to do the allocation of irq and not have it set to manual in the bios.....yank out the modem for now until you get it sorted.
do not put the sound card in the pci slot next to the agp...they share the same irq calls.....the pci's tend to act in pairs...so counting down from the agp, ensure the sound card isnt sharing with the modem on the same pair as they both have sound functionality....this could be part of the reason too....

let me know how ya get on.... Cool g'luck....