cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Wanted] Win 98SE Upgrade

Simon_M
Grafter

I have an elderly PC running Win 98 1st edition that I want to bring onto my wireless network.

Wireless network adapters seem to have 98SE as a minimum requirement.

It's running all sorts of stuff that I really don't want to re-install (probably couldn't trace half the setup files now anyway!), so I want to upgrade rather than do a clean install, so must be a retail upgrade version rather than an OEM backup copy from a scrapped machine (got one of those already).

Anyone got anything buried at the bottom of a drawer?

Alternative suggestions also welcomed.

Simon
3 REPLIES
N/A

Simon,

It may sound silly but have you taen the 'suck it and see' approach yet, just plug it in and see what happens !

It may work fine or you may need some kind of windows patch or something to make it work.

Bill
Simon_M
Grafter

Yes, I have & it nearly works.

I did have it working at one point, but the adapter died. When it did work it was a bit flaky. It's replacement is a later version of both hardware & firmware & doesn't seem to want to play, so I thought it was time to do it properly.

Were you thinking of any particular patch?

As an aside, I might also gain a couple of usable USB ports. I've never had a use for USB on this particular machine, but you never know. Add to that the generaly increased stability of 98SE & it seemed worth doing if I can locate a copy at a sensible price.

Simon
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I can provide you with a Win 98SE if you still want it, send me a PM.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.