cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanted - Linux Compatible ADSL Modem

N/A

The time has come for my linux pc to share internet on our home network. Problem has been no linux driver for current modem (Alcatel speed touch pc)
PCI modem is 1st choice.

Rick Simmons

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Capital letters removed from titles, as they're akin to shouting.]
4 REPLIES
N/A

if you have a router between an ethernet modem and pcs it should be easy - just put an ethernet cable between the ethernet modem and router and put another between the router and each pc.
N/A

get a nice ethernet ADSL router/modem then run squid / iptables on the linux box, the speedtouch USB modem that bt ships does work with linux .
Community Veteran

The most compatible device is going to be an Ethernet based ADSL modem/router which just connects to a network card on your Linux box. Both PCI based and USB based modems are not really supported in any great numbers and later versions of *nix may have problems.

Basically keep your ADSL kit separate and use the always compatible Ethernet connection route. You can then upgrade/switch Linux distros if you want without the headaches of finding if your USB or PCI card is supported.
N/A

Actually there are Linux drivers for Alcatel speedtouch USB modem - unsure if this is exactly the one you have. (but its one of the more common ADSL modems around).

I''ve been using one on smoothwall (linux based firewall solution) for a couple of years now. Do a search on the web for Benoit's linux drivers - for instance on http://www.bigwebmaster.com/General/Howtos/DSL-HOWTO/speedtouchusb.html
.. lots of help on there.

If you do use a dedicated (old) machine as a firewall, smoothwall (http://www.smoothwall.org) works pretty much out of the box. Its an economical way of supporting a permanent connection to the web, and in my experience unbelievably reliable. I've also used the Alcatel modem directly connected to a Mandrake Linux machine.

Nik