cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Disk TV recorder ** Wanted **

clockley
Grafter

Can anyone recommend a cheap Hard Disk recorder? With my partner working evenings, i'm after a cheap way to record programs for her without going through DVD's like nobodies business.

Thanks

Carl
16 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Hi Carl

I have the Humax duovision PVR9200T which i bought at a reasonable price from the large pc store full of unhelpful unknowing teenagers for £199 but i think they`ve come down a bit now

It had some good reviews which is why i got it and to be honest i cant really find fault it does exactly what it says it will do with no problems as yet and being able to record all digital with twin tuners and its 160GB hard drive it has plenty of space

I cant comment on any others as i hav`nt used them all i can say is steer clear of the goodmans equivalent its not good

Bill.
clockley
Grafter

Many thanks!

Will start saving. If there is anything that is cheaper, let me know too. Not too fussed over the huge HDD sizes, the mrs will watch then delete.

Thanks

Carl Lockley
Community Veteran

Depending on where your computer is located, you could also consider using that for recording TV programs, using a USB TV tuner, then connecting a cable between the computer and TV so the recorded programs can then be watched on the TV. A bit more complicated to set up, but easier to use, I think... my mum's had great trouble getting on with our DVD recorder, so tomorrow I'm going to set up what I've just described for her using our Mac laptop in the living room - she can get on with that much easier.

Edit: Typo
clockley
Grafter

sort of the same in reverse, the mrs has a creaky old laptop, and uses 4OD, but only has a smallish HDD, and my PC is going through "repairs and upgrades" for the time being... still, any recommendations are good ones Cheesy
Midville
Grafter

I have heard good reports on the TopField range of PVRs.

However some are a little bit pricey at £250 ish, however 2 tuners and 250Gb. Have a look in AV forums, lots of info over there.
grahambritten
Grafter

Before you make a decision check out the Digital Spy forums.

Personally I'd recommend the Humax DuoVision PVR 9200T having owned one now for around 18 months. It's a lovely piece of kit. It'll change the way you watch TV!

Hope this helps...
N/A

Get the Humax 9200T! I brought one when they first came out 2 years ago it was good then and now after a number of firmware updates it works brillantly! Since I got mine 10 of my colleques have brought them as well and have been really pleased. It's simple to use, set-up, excellent picture, reliable and importantly QUIET, You really can record 2 channels and watch a third 99% of the time! Very, very, occasionaly there's a clash that prevents watching a third channel. Toppy's are good but do cost more and offer little extra. Best thing is that it's like a Sky+ box but FREEview!
Community Veteran

Re: Hard Disk TV recorder ** Wanted **

cheap Hard Disk recorder?

IMHO when it comes to DVB PVR's, "cheap" means crap.
And expansive does not even guarantee, its any good.

I fancy one of these;
http://www.tvonics.com/dvr250.html
As I already have a PRISM digi bax and thats great.
http://www.tvonics.com/prism.html

Chilly
N/A

You can't go wrong with the Humax, they do exactly as it says on the box, Jack.
N/A

Ive got a digifusion FVRT200 - about a year old - and cant fault it - reasonable recording space, ok menus, twin tuners.

Was £200 when I got it, so should be cheaper and/or upgraded by now.

Jonathan
craig_p
Grafter

Smiley hi I would also recomend the Humax9200T. Bought one yesterday for my mum who is 83 yrs young. She loves it and it is so simple to set up and use. Its £189.99 at comet if you order online o pick up in store. Hope this helps
N/A

i guess it's been a while now but if you haven't already got one check argos out we got their cheapest one, which was about £100. its an obscure brand but we've had ours since before christmas and no problems.
N/A

If it's cheap you're after I've found this to be extremely good, even though I've only had it a couple of days the twin tuners are a definite plus point, as is the HDD size.

As you say it really makes a difference if you can shape television around you rather than the other way around.
lyndonp
Grafter

I have had a Topfield for over 18 months. A very good piece of kit for which the user community writes additonal programs (TAPS) for it.

The user forum is very lively - check it out first http://www.toppy.org.uk/

It will give you a very good idea of what users think and what they are doing with it. Many people open them up when out of warranty and put larger disks in and they have also devised a way to make the "Toppy" link wirelessly too!

Maybe not for your grandma but great for the techies! (although it will work straight out of the box for grandma Cheesy )