cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got Olympus E500 Twin Lens kit

N/A

The DSG group (PC World, Curry's, Dixons) have had an offer on for a while now on this camera, but are currently out of stock - anyone know where I can find a similarly good deal on this particular camera and accesories.

Here is a link to the deal I was looking at.

Any ideas - also if there is a good reason to not buy this particular model - please tell me before I waste too much time looking around etc. All constructive input most welcome.

Ta
4 REPLIES
N/A

I use one and find it is a marvelous bit of kit, just wondering though if there is a particular reason why you chose Olympus. My reason for asking is that I bought it for the reason that with a not very inexpensive (£100) adaptor I can use my collection of Olympus OM1 lenses but that may not be your reason.

If I may make a suggestion if you can only find a single lens kit I would get it because the quality of the standard lens that comes with it if you shoot in maximum resolution you can enlarge a postcard sized portion of an image that will more than make up for the lack of the second lens, and a bit further down the road you can get the adaptor and scour the second hand market for used Olympus lenses (which if you get OM fitting are quality bits of glass) which are now quite cheap and on the E500 a 150mm lenses becomes a 300mm.Also keep in mind that you need to budget for a memory card, and get the biggest you can afford. I shoot at maximum resolution and in RAW format and get 25 approx pictures on a 512meg card but a lot of JPEGS.

Also if you use it set in auto flash mode do not wear a baseball cap :-( I used that mode to photgraph my wife in pantomime and non turned out much head scratching and cursing and a threat to return it to the store later..... I found the peak of my baseball cap was stopping the flash popping up enough to switch itself on :-) wife was not impressed.

Just my few thoughts on what I think is a good camera for what I use it for which I think you could say is semi-professional use, and it is only with the difficulty in getting film these days that I have succumbed to the digital age, but it had to be just the right camera and after reading lots of reviews and comparisons.Heck when you first switch it on it shakes the dust off the CCD first (yes I am serious about that)

Hope that helps somewhat

IanJ
N/A

Went out and bought one last night - all good, but dissapointed that the battery pack supplied is not rechargeable. (Hence there is also no charger supplied)

What sort of life should I expect out of the batteries? (3xCR123A IIRC - mounted in caddy)

Assume most of the shots will be landscapes and outdoor without flash for the next few months - but obviously I'll be playing a bit to get used to different settings and the results they achieve.

Incidentally managed to get the kit which all DSG sites still say is out of stock - bloomin websites - thought they were supposed to help make things clearer, not the other way round.
N/A

What sort of life should I expect out of the batteries? (3xCR123A IIRC - mounted in caddy)

Actually for all that the camera does they do last quite a while because if not used for a user defined period of time the camera puts itself to sleep, and the information screen only stays on for the minimum time needed...... but at about £7 each I would suggest saving the pennies (£70 at PC World the last time I looked) for the Olympus battery and charger kit.

For landscapes you could do a lot worse than leave it as it came out of the box...... in it's default setting it gets things right most times; the only thing I did pretty well straight away was to change the colour setting from "Vivid" to "Natural" but that was a personal preference as I found the colours to be too bright and unnatural at the beginning..... but it was quite a long while before I switched it from "Auto" mode to any of the other modes.
N/A

re: olympus E500 camera

go to www.fotosense.co.uk £599 for twin lens kit
tel : 01204 532325