Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For sale unused copy of Win XP

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Upgrade version cost £89

It's been in my CD-rom once to get a 12 page update/upgrade report, and I just never bothered with all the hassel, eventually going to Win 2000 instead.

Other than that it's un-used, still in it's package with all the paperwork.

Offers around £45 anyone? that's just on half price.

In line with other advice elsewhere in the forum's I've removed my e-mail address, although it's probably a bit late now (petlew).
[Post moved to new, relevant forum by Ian]
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hi,

I've moved this to the General Chit Chat forum.
Advertising is not strictly allowed as shown in the link:forum guidelines, but this sort of one of non comercial post should be fine in the General Chit Chat forum.

Chris
Community Veteran

Ah sorry about that, it wasn't meant as a commercial exercise , thanks for you're understanding

Shockedops:

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Perhaps I should make the price ONO...

trexalan
Grafter

Is that pro or Home? :?:
Community Veteran

Well, judging by the qouted cost of £69, it'll be Home.

Thomas
Community Veteran

£89 Thomas not £69

Pity its the upgrade version though. had been the OEM version I would have been tempted.
N/A

Ignoring the forum rules, surely you mean "ORIGINAL, UNUSED AND UNREGISTERED" and not "COPY" !!!

Just nit picking, it's after 1am and a number of cans of Stella.
Community Veteran

No prob's you're right to point it out...

Exactly right...Original, New, Unused and UNREGISTERED.

And yes it's the home addition, purchased from John Lewis Watford branch for £89 (could probably come up with the receipt if really pushed)

Didn't most earlier versions of Windows have a workaround that allowed upgrade versions to be used as full versions? or does this not apply to XP?

Peter

Community Veteran

Didn't most earlier versions of Windows have a workaround that allowed upgrade versions to be used as full versions? or does this not apply to XP?

I am certain that win98se and 98me had different versions for upgrade and install.
I know a friend of mine had an upgrade and it would never do a straight install he always had to but the original Os in first which was a real ball ache.
N/A

98se upgrade was pretty easy to bypass into a full version.

Essentialy, the two disks are like for like, with the exception of upgrade missing a few files (the exe setup, and associated libs).

XP is totaly different.

While in theory it can be done, the messing about it would involve, means it's pretty much too time consuming.
Community Veteran

Thanks for that Acarr,

I remember reading that in a magazine review (Computer Active) now you mention it a little after XP came out.

It just struck me that mesing about with XP was too much trouble for the upgrader of a fairly old system (anything over 6 months these days)

My own pesonal view was that it was a mistake to offer XP as an upgrade version anyway, in my own case the report that it produced for me noting all the updates and changes I would have to make to get it to run properly ran to 12 closely typed A4 pages, and some of my software wouldn't work at all afterwards as some "developers" were not planning to offer software patches for XP.

As a matter of interest, I was on a 56k modem then, the hours of on-line time downloading the available patches was going to cost a fortune (I accept that now I'm on ASDL that problem probably wouldn't arise) my printer and scanner manufacturer (Canon) wanted to charge me £10 each! for new installation CD's or download the entire installations from their website "but they wearn't ready yet" something like 80Mb (together) at 56k er! no thanks...

I like to think that the actual job installing XP was not beyond me, I just didn't have the time to mess around with it, unfortunately to Microsoft's shame, you don't find out about this until you've broken the seals and opened the box, popped the CD in the drive, read the report, and chucked the whole thing back in the box and into a drawer somewhere to be saved for a rainy day.

Like many would-be buyers I read plenty of magazine reveiws of XP most saying the upgrade was a piece of cake, I can only assume they were starting off with machines that only had an operating system, but without any other software to intrude in the installation, only Computer Active intimated that it was not the straight forward install Microsoft would have us believe.

Finally I decided to go with Win 2000 instead, this also had it's installation problems, but nothing like as involved as XP, in time I purchased a new hard drive and re-installed Win 2k clean on that, with a dual boot with Win ME something I could have done with XP I suppose, but I like 2k too much to want to change it now (and all my software runs on it) and anyway I'd probably have ditched XP's eye straining colour scheme and set it up to look like standard Win.

Regards
Peter

Community Veteran

PS.

The only piece of software that wouldn't run under Win 2000 (and I'm still using some that date back to Win 3.1) is a Hasbro (well known for Cluedo etc.) board game called Upwords (a game in the same vein as Scrabble)

Hasbro sold out it's software rights to that rather well know company Atari a while ago, Atari are not offering a patch for Win 2k for Upwords (which is a bit mean!!)

Upwords is the only reason I keep a dual boot (it runs under ME) so my wife can play it, if it worked in 2k I'd ditch ME as well.

If anybody knows a workaround this I'd be eternally grateful.

N/A

Hi

Is this upgrade still for sale?

Daryl
Community Veteran

yes