Did you mean: 

you thought SDSL was the next step.....

N/A

10 REPLIES
N/A

Sounds a bit of a nieve comment.

You really think BT can be bothered to install MORE fiber?
Considering their reluctance to even achieve LLU I highly doubt it.
N/A

Sounds a bit of a nieve comment.

You really think BT can be bothered to install MORE fiber?
Considering their reluctance to even achieve LLU I highly doubt it.

If BT werent so lazy we would already have (99% likely).
N/A

Ah! Yes But??

Hi,

OK, but I think your both missing one essential factor i.e. Market forces or customer demand. BT might well install yet more fiber and technologies such as VDSL in the future if joe public wants it and if BT see it as a way to increase its profits and market share (or retain or increase its market share against competiton in telco services). Yes! I would agree it may not happen for a few more years but as things move forwards fiber may still be what we all end up with.

Ivan Cool
N/A

Exactly, BT is only focused on money, if they focused more on their product quality then they would make so much more money than they already are.
N/A

I think BT are more focused on getting the wireless infrastructres around the uk at the moment. Considering (again) that the UK is lacking in wireless connectivity, they need to pull their finger out.

This type of service is more market driven.. for each home user, you probably have 40 corporate executives who are willing to pay 5 pounds for an hours worth of wimax connections. And, who are we to argue, if BT is going to make more money that way, who can blame them.
N/A

yea wireless sounds cool, unless its gonna be very expensive, we got our new satellite sent into space yesterday, that was so we can access internet anywhere in the world!
N/A

The trouble with wireless technologies is that once the bandwidth of a node is maxed out you are stuffed. Also im not a big fan of businesses selling WiFi hotspots because its supposedly a license-free frequency and if businesses exhaust the range then theres nothing left for residential users. BT know this, which is most likely why their WiFi prices are still so insane..

Sattelites of course are a lot better but id imagine you still have the bandwidth problem. Its not an easy task to add another sattelite if you run out of bandwidth. Of course id imagine a sattelite has a HUGE amount of bandwidth, especially compared to WiFi - but its still a lot more limited than wires.

Back on VDSL, if you read that site mentioned in the first link it mentions that VDSL isnt likely to become popular any time soon because theres no standard right now. This would surely discourage BT from using it, though they might come up with their own version. The big problem then is that hardware would be a lot more expensive, ADSL hardware is cheap because its a standard worldwide.

To summarise: We know these technologies are possible, but not by any means as simple as you make out.
N/A

We should at least be beating the frenchies who are on ADSL2+
N/A

Im sure not against the idea, theres nothing id like better than 2MB/sec download speeds. :twisted:
N/A

whats a decent french ISP cas i wanna look at the prices/speed etc.