cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

www.adslguide.org.uk

Community Veteran

www.adslguide.org.uk

The above site gives adsl users the oportunity to rate their ISP. I see that Plusnet is on it, but not Free-online. I'd love to be able to record my rating of FOL, but can't. Does anyone know why they're not on there?

John
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: www.adslguide.org.uk

Does anyone know why they're not on there?

They are the same ISP!!

(where your bill comes from)

Smiley
Community Veteran

No they're not. They're owned by the same company, and the product spec. is the same. That's not the same thing as being the same company themselves. They have different branding, and a different company structure, as can be seen from discussions in this forum about the difference even in the forums (to take one example).

A Jaguar is still a Jaguar, even if the company is owned by Ford, and a Skoda is still a Skoda, not a Volkswagen.

So my question still stands. :cheese:

John
N/A

> No they're not.

Ok John now check their DNS, they are the same ?

Roll eyes
N/A

>> Roll eyes <<

Hi Walter – I’m glad to see you drawing attention to what seems to me a false distinction between +net, (the main ISP) and FOL/Force9, which are just pale shadows of their parent.

For about a year I’ve been saying Please let’s stop pretending that they are different, and merge the customers all to +net, for several reasons, one of which is that it’s frustrating not to be able to contribute to the +net fora which are about 100000 times as lively and full of seriously useful stuff as the ghost towns which are the FOL and Force9 fora.

I know it would create some problems, but I see no reason why all the different email addresses could not be retained – after all I joined FOL years before the merge with +net, when the email address was still mail@joebloggs.idps.co.uk - only later did it become mail@joebloggs.free-online.co.uk, but still mail address to me @…idps.co.uk arrives just the same as mail to @…free-online.co.uk, and those customers who choose to change their email addres to mail@joebloggs.plus.com (username permitting) would get a much snappier and easily memorable email address, and during the changeover mail addressed to their previous mailbox could still appear in the new one.

I’m reminded of the time when BMC (the predecessor of British Leyland) produced identical cars with the Austin, Morris, MG, and Wolesley name badges - (I’m Very Old).

If you want to read the full rant I posted about this (04/08/2002, thread “lets get taken over” last updated 2/11/2002) it’s still on the server a few pages back in the FOL forum, but I’ll not waste bandwidth pasting it here.

N/A

> >> Roll eyes <<
>
> Hi Walter – I’m glad to see you drawing attention to what seems to me a false distinction between +net, (the main ISP) and FOL/Force9, which are just pale shadows of their parent.
>
> For about a year I’ve been saying Please let’s stop pretending that they are different, and merge the customers all to +net, for several reasons, one of which is that it’s frustrating not to be able to contribute to the +net fora which are about 100000 times as lively and full of seriously useful stuff as the ghost towns which are the FOL and Force9 fora.
>
> I know it would create some problems, but I see no reason why all the different email addresses could not be retained – after all I joined FOL years before the merge with +net, when the email address was still mail@joebloggs.idps.co.uk - only later did it become mail@joebloggs.free-online.co.uk, but still mail address to me @…idps.co.uk arrives just the same as mail to @…free-online.co.uk, and those customers who choose to change their email addres to mail@joebloggs.plus.com (username permitting) would get a much snappier and easily memorable email address, and during the changeover mail addressed to their previous mailbox could still appear in the new one.
>
> I’m reminded of the time when BMC (the predecessor of British Leyland) produced identical cars with the Austin, Morris, MG, and Wolesley name badges - (I’m Very Old).
>
> If you want to read the full rant I posted about this (04/08/2002, thread “lets get taken over” last updated 2/11/2002) it’s still on the server a few pages back in the FOL forum, but I’ll not waste bandwidth pasting it here.
>
>
>

Hi Guys,

Well, I can confimr that to all intents and purposes FOL and Plusnte are the same. The discussion forums obviously are something I can understand your concern about, but in every other respect Free-Online, Plusnet and Force9 are the same.

It isn't immediately possible to Merge everyone (We have many hundreds of customers between the VISPs who have the SAME usernames for a start). We are looking at ways we can make our customer community more consistant, but this is a big project which will take a long time to implement.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
FOL Customer Support
N/A

Many thanks for your comments, 'Heapug' and the response from Ian. Well now we know for sure, thanks very much for a positive response. I also raised the topic towards the end of last year but got whitewashed)

As far as a merger , a major advance to help us all would be simply to merge the Discussion groups, with or without a +net address, that's all, anything else is academic. I encouraged my friend to join the 'firm' but he joined '+net' because the discussions were lively.

>>– I’m glad to see you drawing attention to what seems to me a false distinction between +net, (the main ISP) and FOL/Force9, which are just pale shadows of their parent.
> >

Yes, my Mini was am Austin.

> >
> > If you want to read the full rant I posted about this (04/08/2002, thread “lets get taken over” last updated 2/11/2002) it’s still on the server a few pages back in the FOL forum, >

>>
> Well, I can confimr that to all intents and purposes FOL and Plusnte are the same.>
> It isn't immediately possible to Merge everyone <

I dont't think anyone would mind a second +net login name for the purpose of the discussion groups.
Surely your advertising would also benefit from a combined operation with very positive customer responce. We do think you do a fantastic job. Look what do the Post office call themselves now. 0h yes, I think it's the Post office.

:bounce:
--
Walter
Community Veteran

What can I say? Clearly I'm hanging my head in embarrassment! To be so gloriously slapped down was indeed a privilage.

Still it livened up the debate for a few moments. I have been rating FOL as Plusnet as far as the adslguide site is concerned, and can't help but notice the consistently good results they achieve.

I must also admit to singing the praises of said ISP to various friends considering broadband (not entirely with the mercenary aim of getting referrals) This has caused the product to be renamed "boredband" by some office colleagues, less ineterested in IT and the internet.

John :cheese: