Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless filesharing

cannylad
Grafter

wireless filesharing

Hi,
I have a SMC router/modem attached to my pc via an ethernet cable which works fine. I also have a Toshiba laptop with a SMC card which also works fine. How do I get the two computers to fileshare? I think I have set everything up ok but I'm not 100% sure.
Does anyone know a good site with good basic instructions on how to do this?

Tynesider
3 REPLIES
N/A

wireless filesharing

Assuming you're using windows Wink

If both m,achines are on a network controlled by your router you should be able to create a folder on (I'd suggest the PC, but it doesn;t really matter) the root level of C: called something witty like like PCShare.

Right click it, go to sharing and select the share this folder on the network box. Check allow network users to change my files if you want to edit documents over the network.

On the other machine you should be able to browse to the share via my network places => entire network

Or from windows explorer, tools, map network drive and type \\<PC NAME>\PCShare. You might need to connect as a different account......

That should be it but.....

If you use different usernames and passwords on each machine, you'll need to add appropriate user details and permissions.

Good luck, and if this doesn;t work out of the box just ask Smiley
cannylad
Grafter

wireless filesharing

Thanks for that, however when it looks for the network drive ( c ) is not listed.
I get the error " The network path could not be found".
I have created a file called PC share in both of the c directories.
I must be doing something wrong but I haven't a clue what it could be.

Tynesider
N/A

Sharing files

Hi tynesider,

Yes! it sounds so easy peezzi doesnt it but getting this to actually work in practise can be tricky in my experience. Think the above is almost correct. I seem to recall the following things:-

1) The network protocol needs to ideally be TCP/IP if your on a LAN and both of your NICs need to be configured for this protocol.

2) Correct IP address's (either fixed or DHCP) which have to be completely unique from each other (such as 192.168.27.08 & 192.168.27.09) for example.

3) Yes! Network path has to be correct using the syntax or path statement such as \\servername\sharename\

4) You have to have shared folders (not files) or shared directories with same level of permissions on both machines.

5) You also need to have an account (user account) on both machines with same name (I think?) and same permissions. This gives security access to the files.

6) If you map a drive letter to the shared folder you may have to give a username & password initially in order to connect?

After this Yes! you should be able to see in both directions the shared folders and files in windows explorer.

Ivan