Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless filesharing problem

cannylad
Grafter

Hi,
I have a wireless router/modem ( SMC ) which is connected to my PC by an ethernet cable. My laptop has a card and I can connect to the internet with no problem. I am sure i have setup the filesharing correctly with both computers having the same workgroup name but unique compter names and I have selected a drive on my pc i wish to share with my laptop.
I then get the following message
( workgroup) is not accessable, you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

Can anyone advise me on how to rectify this problem
Thanks
Tynesider
13 REPLIES
N/A

Workgroups & LANS etc

Hi Tynesider,

I think there is more than one problem present here, OK if I understand this correctly in a workgroup all machines act a equals or peers which is why this kind of model is sometimes referred to as a peer to peer network? (NOT like in a domain were its client server only) so machines are all capable of acting as either client or servers. I have a feeling also that in a workgroup you would need to have a same named user account on each machine (tom smith must have an account on machine A =PC and machine B=laptop for example) and you would also need to setup a common global (workgroup wide) user group and then also add that user into that group. I think you then have to setup permissions on any shared folders to allow this wider user group access. That way all users gain access to required folders or shares on your network.

I think what makes things more confusing & complicated is the web access aspect of this situation. I attempted a similar setup trying to give my main workstation server (which already has ADSL) and my laptop adding to a home LAN and it was pretty difficult I seem to remember and I had compatibility problems and had to give up. later on in another F9 forum another user clarify how he managed to get this working using TCP/IP as the common protocol.

**You might consider trying to create a proper domain model which means No! workgroup but you might find this works better for you. But this requires one machine is designated as a domain server and for example your laptop as a client machine on your local domain / network. File permissions & folder permissions I found far easier to set than in a work group, and understanding groups and group permssions (now also called group policy) easier to figure out. Domains are more scalable anyway and designed for 10 or more machines but you can still have a small home LAN even if you only have 1 server and one client.

Ivan
cannylad
Grafter

Hi thanks for that,
Wow, I thought it would be really easy, seems a bit complicated for me to sort out so i think I will give it a miss and just download all the files i want to share onto a CD or buy a data cable.

Thanks for your help.
Tynesider
N/A

Replying

Hi again,

YEP! know the feeling, data cable sounds like a good idea.

Ivan :roll:
N/A

I've got a WinXP laptop that connects to my network wirelessly. Talks to 2 Win2000 and a WinXP desktop with no trouble (if you ignore the obvious speed related issue that you get with wireless networking).

What operating systems are you running?
You've said that you've set up shares, did you set up the permissions? (would've thought this would all be set ok by default, but as we're talking about Windows here!)
Since you can communicate with the router then that's obviously not the issue. Without wanting to sound patronizing here, do you have XP Service Pack 2? Or a thrid party firewall as this may need configuring to allow the 2 pc's to communicate.
cannylad
Grafter

Hi,
I'm running WinXP SP2 and the firewall is Norton 2005, the router with built in modem is SMS as is the card for my laptop which is a Toshiba.
I am a novice at this and have heard so many conflicting ideas on how to do it I am now confused as hell. I would like to start from scratch and go through it in laymans terms but there seems to be no website that gives the basic info, they start basic but get technical half way through and don't explain to a novice exactly where everything is and what it does.
( Permissions ) how do you set them up?
Both my PC and laptop connect to the internet ok but i simply cannot share files between the two and maybe it is the firewall but how do i configure that, I also heard that a router has a built in firewall!

Any help would be appreciated, at the moment i have gone back to using a data cable.
Thanks
Tynesider

N/A

Hi Tynesider ,

OK let me see if I break this down into simpler and more managable chunks for you without getting overly technical (sorry! but this does involve some technical stuff though).

First off I'm assuming that what your trying to achieve here is sharing files between 2 or more computers on a small home network (well if you have 2 or more machines and your trying to share files you essentially have a network,just to clarify that one).

2) Secondly, its important to know and be aware of the fact that NOT all operating systems can easily talk to each other. So for example windowsXP & Windows2000 will talk to each other without any problems or special techniques but older versions of windows like windows 98 or ME talking to XP or Win2K might be more challenging. From what you've already said I dont think you should have any major problems and its sounds like your pretty close to having this working anyway.

3) Now on a small home network which includes a router (with internet access), both machines will require a network protocol I would suggest that you use TCP/IP (transmission control protocol, internet protocol) with fixed private IP (internet address's) such as 192.168.50.03 and 192.168.50.04 etc. Each machine should also have a unique computer name also, (Qtn to you?) do you have your computers in a workgroup or do you have a domain? In a workgroup all machines are thought of as peers or equals and usually a workgroup on the whole tends to be a cluster or small group comprising about 10 or 12 machines not much more than this. However, in a domain NOT all machines are equals, one machine will be either a primary domain server or just a domain server (this is whats called Client Server) but in a domain with domain servers and routers you can have huge numbers of machines on your network.

**Once your network is in place its completely normal to setup shares or network shares either on a client PC or on the main domain server. These are just ordinary folders which have been setup with permissions for other users to access and as such these will be visable on the network to others (but you can have shared folders with special restricted permissions so only certain users have access to sensitive files or documents).

**Permissions is a whole subject area itself, but in your situation we are talking specifically about folder level permissions. To set folder permissions goto the folder you want to share on your drive or network drive, highlight the folder,next right click with the mouse and you should see a small floating menu, select properties on this menu, from properties there should be a number of tabs and one of those should be a "share" or sharing option, select this tab, on this tab you should see a network sharing option select this, in XP and windows explorer there is a network sharing wizard that steps you through the process. But anyway you want to give the folder network share access to others to this folder.

**Yes! if you have a router & or firewall (or both in place) its important that your machines IP address are seen by the router (have you setup your local IP address's in the router? you have to go into the routers setup or admins page to do this). Also ensure that your firewall (the firewall within the router if your using this) isnt blocking your local machines from seing each other. Again the firewall might need some further configuring and this might also be in the routers admins setup pages.

**Ensure that winXP SP2 firewall "is turned off", as the XP firewall is switched on bye default when you install SP2 this is one of those new MS features designed to increase security for those using the internet.

**You could also try temporarily turning OFF the Norton 2005 firewall and see if this solves the file sharing problem. You have to narrow down the problem using a simple step by step testing process. Try one thing at a time too see if this helps or solves the problem, such as setup your shares and then see if that does give you file sharing access to each machine. If No! then try truning your firewall off and then on,etc. Same with the router configuration & built in router firewall configuration too.

Ivan
N/A

Have you thought about using a vnc application such as UltraVNC?

I had the same problem you, but have got around it using this software instead.
N/A

Options & work arounds

Hi,

I suggest that its FAR better to first of all to atleast try to solve the original problem and only too resort to other solutions or work arounds as an absolute last resort.

**I used a lovely peice of shareware I found to solve the problem I had between windows98 SE and windows XP. Its called LinkMaven and you can download a fully featured working version for a 21 session free trial. This software is completely brilliant and I've not come across anything else like it.
LinkMaven enables you to share files with any version of MS DOS, (all windows versions with each other) Windows3.1, windows 3.11,Windows for workgroups, Windows95,Windows98 & SE, WindowsME, ALL versions of WindowsNT, Windows2000, WindowsXP. It can do this because it uses the printer port also known as the parallel port (LTP1) or RS232, one part of LinkMaven acts as the client or remote and the other part of Linkmaven acts like the local or server. You would need a parallel to parallel cable but this only costs about £10 to £20 quid but if its your ONLY option left its completely worth it I can tell you! It uses its own explorer like interface and file transfers are very fast indeed with the correct cable, file transfer speeds are very high its like using a local network. I would not hesitate to recommend this software & method to anyone as a last resort.

LinkMaven :- http://www.briggsoft.com/lmaven.htm

Ivan Cool
N/A

And spend four days getting frustrated, or 10 minutes fixing it for the same result? Wink
N/A

Replying

Hi,

YEP! agree and LinkMaven gave me exactly that solution within a few mins, so I guess TightVNC or UltraVNC will also come into the same catagory.

Ivan
cannylad
Grafter

Hi Thanks for that,
I have a data cable and software although its quite slow to transfer data via usb.
I would rather get to transfer the data via wireless just so as to learn how to do it`and will try out what has been suggested first.

Thanks
Tynesider
cannylad
Grafter

Hi, one thing I would like to know is how to open a port in the router to allow the data?

Thanks
Tynesider
N/A

Openning Ports

Hello Again,

OK to open a port I would suggest that you are most likely to find a suitable option if you go into your modem/routers administration setup page. This is often accessible via a browser like IE and a CAT5 cable which is the most common method now a days, or some routers used to require a Xover cable and a telenet or hyperterminal session (psuedo modem or virtual modem and dial into the router). Normally you have to save the changes you've made after adding or editing settings & reboot the router for changes to tak effect. Some routers will save changes to a internal file or setup file or automatically save changes bye default.

( be aware that there are potentially 65,600 useable ports each dedicated to a very specific service for example web surfing with a browser tends to always use port 80, port 110 is for POP3 email etc) So asking how do I open a port might sound like a simple question but in reality its not so straight forwards. I guess the question your really asking here is which port number do I need to open to allow me to exchange data from one machine to another across a USB data transfer cable. I would run some google searches on this very subject or have a look through the router makers website for any hints or tips on how to achieve this.

Let me know how it goes? Ivan