cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless ADSL

worto03

wireless ADSL

Hi - I'm new here just signed up today & I was wondering what router any of you would reccomend for wireless ADSL.

It's between 1 desktop & 1 laptop to start with (the laptop already has a built in wireless card)

I have been using a netgear router for a couple of years with telewest BB but thought I may as well go wireless at the same time as moving house. Are the netgear wireless routers any good? Any recomendations netgear or otherwise welcome.

Thanks for any info,
worto.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Wireless Ivan

Hello worto03,

Just one tip if your buying a wireless router (or router modem combo) make sure the device definately supports both of the common wireless standards that are used, most good quality routers should support both protocols. That is IEEE 802.11g & IEEE 802.11b (if it only has support for one or the other you could come unstuck, if your nearest node or hotspot doesnt support the very protocol you require. This is more relevant for laptops I guess).

Secondly, when going wireless (or buying wireless) make sure you do pay attention to the security aspect of the device when setting it up. Many new people fail to change the basic /default WEP settings (wireless equivant privacy protocol) which means you leave yourself vulnerable to hackers. Some users change & use a different protocol for security such as IPSEC which seems to have a good track record.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Forum Members Matter, Your Voice Counts!
N/A

wireless ADSL

one of the best ways to get around the security of this is to start the dhcp service on the wireless device and then have only MAC address dhcp allocation, to stop people hopping on the network SSID in the first place. Some devices wont let you use MAC with WEP though. But remember not to publish the ssid on the network.

WEP is quite easy to break into now, especially if you know about 802.11. It will take someone with a good knowledge of wifi in general about an hour to get past a 128bit encryption. I have seen it done at a security show in london, and pretty straight foward really. MAC however is a lot more difficult to spoof if you cant even get on the network in the first place.

Also remember to set the scope to the number of clients you have - so if you have 2 machines using wifi, dont enable 10 clients to access the dhcp scope. Just allow 2, or 3 at a maximum.
Trebor
Grafter

wireless ADSL

Is SCOPE the same as CHANNEL ?

Thats what iIhave on my BT Voyager2100
worto03

Thanks for all the advice - I think I'm going to get one of these in the next couple of days as long as I don't find loads of really bad feedback from others.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=7...

If may have to go for the 54Mbps version for cash reasons but hopefully not.

Cheers,
worts.
N/A

wireless ADSL

Is SCOPE the same as CHANNEL ?

Thats what iIhave on my BT Voyager2100

No, Scope is range of the ip addresses alocated by the DHCP server. Channel is the RF channel used for the 802.11 signal.