cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which card for cuba?

Brickinit
Grafter

which card for cuba?

i wonder if anyone out there in plusnet land can help, we are off to cuba in a few weeks and as of the 8th nov US Dollers will not be accepted as payment,trade embargo by the yanks, i have three accounts by high street banks and one internet credit card, all are visa or mastercard, but none of them are accepted in cuba as they have ties with US banks. does anyone out there work for a british bank or finance house who knows which uk card will be accepted? i have phoned a few card and either they will not be accepted or they can not say if i could have the card by the time we depart these chilly shores. any views on this appriciated.

malc
5 REPLIES
Stu

which card for cuba?

Went to Cuba in 2001.

Main currency for tourists is the US dollar.

As for credit cars, I had no problems at all with my First Direct (HSBC) Visa card.

Hope this helps.

Fantastic place to visit btw, so you should have a great time. Does open your eyes though.
Community Veteran

which card for cuba?

I have to ask timeout, did you read happyhounds post?

He was going to cuba at the end of november 2004, concerned about a US trade embargo incroduced in 2004.

And you reply to the post in 2005 telling him that in 2001 they accepted US dollars.

:roll:
Stu

which card for cuba?

Just skimmed it. Ooops.

Used to forums where items from November wouldn't make the first 100 pages, let alone the first Sad
Brickinit
Grafter

which card for cuba?

the crunch of it was that we took stirling and they were more than welcome. as with most cuba holidays being all inclusive not much was needed apart from tips and trips if you done trips with the tour firm you go with the would take any card but doing the same trips and booking yourselves cost a good 1/3 less. incidently if you change US Dollars there, there is a 10% surcharge.
worth a trip there before it gets too commercial, and before Fidel pops his clogs
N/A

which card for cuba?

I was there the last two weeks before the USD stopped being legal tender. I thought it was fantastic too (see the pics on my website!).

Just to add, it's well worth changing a couple of quid into Peso Nationale and wandering around the local markets. A good lunch can be had for less than 20p...

--> Stephen