bluewhale
Rising Star

what's plusnet's isdn service like?

Does it have reliable connections?
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

As far as PlusNet are concerned there is no distinction between ISDN and PSTN connections. Except of course your connection is faster and it's quicker to connect.
ISDN connections dial into the same equipment at the local exchange and use the same dialup numbers.

Chris
bluewhale
Rising Star

it's just that i've seen one or two comments about connection problems on dialup.

i'm on adsl, but a friend at work was asking what the isdn service was like, he's with demon at the mo, but he keeps having connection problems.
Community Veteran

The connection is based on the contention ratio with PlusNet, I'd suggest you get your friend to try it and see what he thinks. Dialup accounts are only 30 days notice, so he should be able to cancel if he doesn't like it.
I've never used ISDN other than through an old Netpilot device a few years ago on 0845 (which was fast).

Bear in mind PlusNet only do 64k atm, they have been talking about 128k for a very long time and probably will do for much longer....

Chris
N/A

The befefit of ISDN, is it is digital.

Where analogue modem faulter, huckup and then disconnect, due to line noise and various other reasons, ISDN doesn't do this.

If you can get ISDN, you are gurenteed the connection.

Because of this, only +net infrastructure can be an issue.

Speeds and routing are very nice on DSL, and my brothers dial-up shows simalar results.

Depending on the account type you want, your could try using a PAYG package to test this.
Community Veteran

Testing on the 0845 service would not show the reliability of the 0808 FRIACO services though so bear that in mind.

Chris
N/A

We have several backup subscriptions for our ISDN lines, one of them being Demon.

Playing Everquest for some time is great for showing up poor connections as th packet loss / ping rate is always visible.

Demons' connection is okayish - usually constant 4-5% packet loss and a ping of around 130 to the UK server, perfectly playable on a game that doesn't require fantastic pings like EQ.

+Net - 80 ping and virtually no packet loss ever. If your friend is used to demon ISDN, he will perfer +net from my experience.

Would love it more with 128k THOUGH!!!!! Pity on us poor adsl-less people!

Joe.
keithivan
Grafter

Quite happy with plusnets isdn connection. The proof is in my logg
http://www.latty.plus.com/met/log.txt Cheesy