cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

website lethargy

geewizz
Grafter

website lethargy

I have a few domain names registered and a few hosting packages bought from here there and everywhere. I've had some success in the past with a freebie website and I thought I could build something a bit more involved. My problem is that I just can't seem to get started.
Despite sitting down with coffee and biscuits at the ready, with a determined attitude and a seriously furrowed brow of intent, I never seem to get to the point where I get a decent grip on things.
I have enough knwoledge to write the page, whether it be html or composed in a web design program thingummybob, but something always seems to trip me up. My favourite excuse for giving in, is failing to get the FTP working.
So this isn't a technical question, but maybe somebody out there has some tips for me on how to get beyond writing a single page and getting bored? Is there some secret ingredient that I'm missing?

Phil
16 REPLIES
N/A

website lethargy

phil, i know exactly what you mean.

i find that i've several ideas for websites - they are all seem like good ideas as long as they stay inside my head.

getting over the inertia's the problem but i wonder if it's simply down to not really having anything worth communicating that stalls the whole process :?:

nud
geewizz
Grafter

website lethargy

getting over the inertia's the problem but i wonder if it's simply down to not really having anything worth communicating that stalls the whole process :?:

nud

hmmmm I wish that was the problem. Unfortunately the one that I am fretting over most is my business website. I wish I hadn't had my stationery printed up with the URL on it.

I've got plenty material for it but I can't seem to get my butt into gear and get it organised and uploaded.

I still think I might be on the wrong biscuits Tongue

Phil
N/A

website lethargy

Phil, what exactly is the problem? is it that u don't know how to upload to ur webspace or that u don't know how to organise it?

Platty
N/A

website lethargy

sounds quite serious to me now that you mention a business website.

(if you haven't) just think of the disappointment potential customers will have when they find your url doesn't really lead anywhere - you are losing business.

you may as well give out a phone number that contains a wrong digit.

losing customers really ought to motivate you to do the website - or is business so good you don't need the extra advertising.

maybe you are subconsciously sabotaging your business :?
geewizz
Grafter

website lethargy

Thanks for the replies peeps.

I think I know how to upload my website but I get confused by all the different methods I have used in the past. Organising it is a whole other kettle of fish. I'm not good at organising stuff neatly but thats something I deal with constantly.

As for the business, its ticking along nicely and I don't need to advertise. The idea for the website came about because I wanted to have a place where I could display a portfolio of photographs of my work for clients to view. This would be for potential and existing clients and wouldn't really entail much work. Its advertising but its supplementary advertising and not an integral part of the business direction. However I want to present it properly and therein lies the crux of the matter. I haven't been able to work out how to see the finished article without getting it up and running. Its a chicken and egg thing.

I think I'll try Custard Creams for a couple of days and see how that works out.

Phil
Community Veteran

website lethargy

Hi

I use frontpage, which has a "view in browser button", but in any case, can't you merely save the site to your hard drive, and view it from there, or am I being naive again?
:roll:
John
N/A

website lethargy

how about just keeping it simple - then you won't need to waste time worrying on the layout, etc.

stick your logo or letterhead on the top.

layout all the pictures you want so they are all the same size.

add a few brief descriptions of what they are.

stick your details at the top and bottom.

job done.

comd back to it a week later and you'll spot things you'll want to change straight away.
geewizz
Grafter

website lethargy

how about just keeping it simple - then you won't need to waste time worrying on the layout, etc.

comd back to it a week later and you'll spot things you'll want to change straight away.

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is exactly why I can't publish it. I'm a perfectionist. Its in my nature and its what drives my work. Its why people hire me. The last thing I want or need is a hashy looking website.

Maybe I should give the Bourbons another try.

Phil
geewizz
Grafter

website lethargy

By the way John, the URL on your profile is missing a W.
Nuds - your URL points to an expired page.
N/A

website lethargy

ah, perfectionism - i suffer from it myself.

thanks for mentioning that my page has expired, going to look into it now as it was there 2 days ago (not that there was anything to look at anyway).
Community Veteran

Thanks

I've fixed it. Shockedops: any ideas on improvements greatfully recieved.

John
N/A

perfectionism

Two types of perfectionist in my experience..
those who use their perfectionism as an excuse for doing nothing..

they never get any where

and those who get started any how they can and then polish up their work over and over again....

those are the real guys.

Just do anything.. use the fact you don't like it to stimulate yourself into action!
If you really hate to see something bad just the act of putting it there will stimulate you into action..

well its just an idea Wink
geewizz
Grafter

website lethargy

In reply : See my post of 10/6/03 in which I explain that I can't publish just any old thing. That would be more detrimental than a blank screen.

Phil
geewizz
Grafter

website lethargy

Update :

Jammy Dodgers don't seem to be helping at all. :-(
I have a hunch that these Penguin things might be more stimulating. I'll keep you posted on any progress.

Phil