cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

web folder

Community Veteran

web folder

OK here's another one. I remember, before my system went belly-up, that setting up a web folder to drag and drop things to was a piece of cake. Now it's more like my wife's baking. (Incredibly hard, and difficult to digest).

I even had a short cut to it on my desktop, it was as simple as that, and with small(ish) files, and broadband, a quick and easy way to store important files off site.

But it was ages ago, and I can't remember how I did it!!!

Is it possible that it's something to do with the fact that at the time I had a 56K modem in as well?

Help. Shockedops:

John
5 REPLIES
N/A

web folder

Ok i think I understand what u mean...

right click on desktop, create a shortcut, in location of file put ftp://homepages.free-online.net/ then click next and give it a name.

When u dbl click it will open a browser window and ask for username and pass. u should then be in ur web folder.

Hope this helps.

Platty

p.s. if u don't want to have to put in ur username and pass everytime use..

ftp://username:pass@homepages.free-online.net/
Community Veteran

web folder

Thanks. That works. It's not how I did it before, which is frustrating, but it's as effective. Somehow I managed to point to my space on the fp server before, and the files are still there.

The reason I like having this available, is to backup important files, that I might want access to, but I don't want to lose if the hard drive goes, or even that I might want to mke available at another location. This way it's just a drag and drop away. :lol:

Thanks again for your help.

John
Community Veteran

web folder

Whoops! my mistake. It only looks as if you have access to the folder, but if you try to copy anything to it, you get a permission denied message.

I'll keep playing and let you know if I work it out. (It was so easy last time)

Evil

John
N/A

web folder

It works ok for me, have u put a default directory in it. i.e. htdocs/backup or something.

ftp://username:password@homepages.free-online.net/htdocs/backup/

remember u can't upload to ur root folder, only to htdocs and sub folders.

Sorry i didn't mention this b4 m8, i thought u'd know.

Platty
Community Veteran

web folder

Yep you're right again. I'd forgotten, because it was never a problem before. I had a folder which opened directly into my fp space and I could load whatever I wanted to. One of my early posts was about this, because no matter how many files I uploaded, my available webspace (according to FOL) was the same.

I'll ftp a "backup" folder to the site in the conventional way and use that.

Thanks again

John