cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vpn?

N/A

vpn?

I need to use my home computer (WK2 or XP+Cable ) to acces work (W2K+Solwise SAR110)

tried port forwarding but the SAR110 doesnt like it, tried pc-anywhere and it works from work to home but not home to work! and its far to slow.

Basically I need to make the home pc part of the work network so the home pc can map to the works c drive and the client sw on the home pc can "see" the server sw on the works c drive.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Vpn

You should have more luck if you use xp into (vpn) win2k
You will need to forward some ports on to the win2k p.c
,,, or buy a hardware vpn router
N/A

Other options

Hi,

First of all in reply to the above thread,

1) PCAnywhere should be quite capable of working in the reverse direction (yes! all be it abit slow as you so rightly say) if configured correctly. i.e. Your home PC would be the host and work the client,etc.

2) have you looked at terminal services, you might be able to run a terminal server from your machine at work (would require a server and terminal server service installing) but both win2k and XP can act as terminal service clients and offer remote access which can be secured.

3) have you looked at products like Tight VNC?

4) As far as my memory serves me, I think if your using VPN's to gain remote access you would need to use L2TP to create a secure tunnelled and encrypted pipe (connection) between both work & home systems. You also have to ensure the correct settings are made in user accounts.

Ivan
N/A

vpn?

Its also worth noting that ANY kind of VPN is going to be slow over ADSL.

In fact, accessing a drive letter over a VPN is considerably slower than accessing an FTP server as over the VPN you are using protocols that are meant for a much faster network and of course Explorer will just act normally and do all its stuff that you really do NOT want wasting bandwidth such as counting filesizes, generating thumbnails, getting disk space usage, etc.

From the speed point is view it could very well be that terminal services offer the best option, it all depends how complex the thing is you will be doing.
N/A

vpn?

Basically I need the server at work to be accessable from home for working from haome at night, weekends. etc

terminal servers might be an answer, but will that work fast enough over ADSL?.

I did get the VPN to work but it was so slow as to be unusable, pc anywhere works and is just fast enough for 1 person to use from home at a time.
I really need 3 home users to be able to work at once.

would having a faster server help or is it a bandwidth issue?
N/A

vpn?

I use a VPN service into work to map drives, access work email etc and use terminal services - all of this is more than adequately fast - but then work has a big pipe for internet connectivity.

What broadband service / speed does your work have? - as you are using a SAR110 at work, I gather it's ADSL, but which package?

Your connection performance to your office network will be governed by your works ADSL upload speed and the contention ratio. So if work have a cheap ADSL connection, then there will be a 50:1 contention ratio and an upload speed of 256K (which should be adequate!) If work has one of the 'Office' packages, then the ratio will be 20:1. In the UK, I think that all ADSL packages are limited to 256Kbits/s upload (called upstream), so with ADSL there's not much you can do unless you look at other services that offer SDSL, there's not much you can do.

Having said that, providing there isn't much other Internet traffic carried on your work's ADSL line, then this should be more than adequate.

Regards

Neil
N/A

vpn?

I use a VPN service into work to map drives, access work email etc and use terminal services - all of this is more than adequately fast - but then work has a big pipe for internet connectivity.

What broadband service / speed does your work have? - as you are using a SAR110 at work, I gather it's ADSL, but which package?

Your connection performance to your office network will be governed by your works ADSL upload speed and the contention ratio. So if work have a cheap ADSL connection, then there will be a 50:1 contention ratio and an upload speed of 256K (which should be adequate!) If work has one of the 'Office' packages, then the ratio will be 20:1. In the UK, I think that all ADSL packages are limited to 256Kbits/s upload (called upstream), so with ADSL there's not much you can do unless you look at other services that offer SDSL, there's not much you can do.

Having said that, providing there isn't much other Internet traffic carried on your work's ADSL line, then this should be more than adequate.

Regards

Neil