cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

voyager and ethernet switch problems

N/A

so like a fool i bought the voyager 205 router cos i thought that any one port ethernet router could be connected to a switch so i could share it (as it had been with my housemates setup where i used to live). Freeonline even told me as much, but now that i have it it simply doesnt work with the netgear fs105 switch i have. im positive that it should but neither the ethernet light on the modem or the connected light on the switch comes on.
i tried the technical support which was frankly horrendous because obviously if it works just plugged into my computer its not their problem (even though its sold as part of a home networking package they wont give me any network support hmmmmm, but i digress)

so i wondered if any of you knew what the hell im doing wrong here or how i can resolve this annoying problem. cheers in advance
2 REPLIES
dbarrett
Grafter

Three things come to mind:

1. some switches/routers designate a port for cascading switches; have you tried different ports on the switch/router?

2. Are you using the correct connection lead; straight or crossover. Most modern kit sorts this out for itself but you never know.

3. are all items (switch, router, cable) serviceable? Can you try out the componants on another system?

Best wishes,

Dick
N/A

Identifying the cause? Ivan

Hello,

Yes! The advice Dick has given is good, you should definately test each device seperately to make sure it works alone before attempting to connect (re-connect them together). I have a feeling that you might require a Xover cable to connect your router to the switch (& vica versa). The Xover cable has different pin outs from normal CAT5 patch leads & this might make all the difference?.

**Organge lights on switches tends to mean 10 MB's (as in 10/100 auto-sensing switches)

**Green lights on the switch usually means the connection is active at 100MB's

**Make sure both your switch and router have the correct IP address's assigned?

**Are you using a DHCP server (often routers come with a built in DHCP server) to assign IP address's?

**Make sure your switch and router are both on the same network IP range (on the same sub-net mask) such as 255.255.255.0 etc. If the switch & router are NOT on the same IP range or on the same subnet mask this would cause problems.

**Check carefully through both the switch installation/setup configuration and also the routers settings.

I know this all sounds compliacted but you need to do these things very systematically (even write them down as you go along & tick each task off) as part of the troubleshooting process, process of elimination.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!