cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

uploading to frontpage webspace

N/A

uploading to frontpage webspace

I've had my frontpage extension supported webspace activated, but have been having problems connecting to upload my webpages.

Does anyone know what to put in the "Specify the location to publish your web to" box ?

My fp domain is "fp.mikejames.plus.com" so I've tried "http://fp.mikejames.plus.com" and get asked for username/password but then cannot connect.

I'm able to upload to my non-fp supported webspace via with no problems.

Any help appreciated,
Cheers,
Mike.
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: uploading to frontpage webspace

I can only think you havent changed your password for cgi as it only last so long. Try Telneting in and see if it asks to change you password, you often dont see this if you ftp in.

@ dos type telnet yourwebaddresswithextensions

> I've had my frontpage extension supported webspace activated, but have been having problems connecting to upload my webpages.
>
> Does anyone know what to put in the "Specify the location to publish your web to" box ?
>
> My fp domain is "fp.mikejames.plus.com" so I've tried "http://fp.mikejames.plus.com" and get asked for username/password but then cannot connect.
>
> I'm able to upload to my non-fp supported webspace via with no problems.
>
> Any help appreciated,
> Cheers,
> Mike.
>

chino
Grafter

what i think you have to do is connect to plus.net via frontpage as the server you can to connect to will only accept front page connection (only front page can upload/download files).

hope this helps

cUnDaLl
N/A

> what i think you have to do is connect to plus.net via frontpage as the server you can to connect to will only accept front page connection (only front page can upload/download files).
>
> hope this helps
>
> cUnDaLl

Sorry - I should have explained that I am using MS Frontpage to do all this at the moment, just to keep things simple while I'm learning.

When you publish, MS Frontpage then asks you to "Specify the location to publish your web to"

My webspace domain is "http://fp.mikejames.plus.com" but this doesn't work in the location field.

I've previously used "ftp://ftp.plus.net/htdocs" to upload to my non-fp supported webspace without any problems.

Jan - I'm not using CGI and I don't know what telnet is either. As you can tell, I'm fairly new to this !!

N/A

Just in case anyone is interested, I've got round the problem by initially opening my frontpage-extension-enabled webspace in Frontpage (rather than opening the copy of my website on my own hard-drive) and editing it directly that way. (It's a little slower than editing then publishing, but it seems to work)

I also discovered that once you've got things configured correctly, you can drag and drop files from your hard-drive to your external website servers within windows explorer.

Mike.
N/A

If you have FrontPage extensions installed on your server, you MUST follow the details below. You should not FTP your site to your server as this is likely to cause corruptions in the extensions.

Make sure you have a connection to the internet. (Usually this is through a dial up connection with your ISP.)
Open Microsoft FrontPage from your Start menu.
Open the FrontPage web that you wish to publish.
Click the FILE menu button, and choose 'Publish FrontPage Web'.
Enter your web address as www.yourname.dom and then click the OK button.
FrontPage will now contact the server.
Enter your username and Password when prompted. Th
If there are no problems then FrontPage will now publish your site to the web.
If you just want to send the pages you have changed since you last updated, please remember to tick the 'publish changed pages only' box when publishing.

Note: You will only be able to publish using the domain name (not the IP address) so you will need to make sure the domain name is fully propagated and working correctly.

Hope the above helps

Dave

> I've had my frontpage extension supported webspace activated, but have been having problems connecting to upload my webpages.
>
> Does anyone know what to put in the "Specify the location to publish your web to" box ?
>
> My fp domain is "fp.mikejames.plus.com" so I've tried "http://fp.mikejames.plus.com" and get asked for username/password but then cannot connect.
>
> I'm able to upload to my non-fp supported webspace via with no problems.
>
> Any help appreciated,
> Cheers,
> Mike.
>