cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

updates

Community Veteran

updates

For the last couple of weeks, everytime I go on line, I get notification of a critical update for media player. I install it, and then, next time I turn on, I get the notification again. Everything says it's installed, but still I get the notification!

Make it stop!

John
5 REPLIES
N/A

updates

I had the same problem a while back with the autoupdate feature of xp, the way i solved it was to go to microsofts windows update page scan for updates and install them that way.

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Platty
Community Veteran

subject: updates

Thanks. I tried that, without success. I'll give it another go :?

John
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

updates

Hi,

If it fails via Windows Update, try downloading the updates individually (I think you can do this via Windows Update but I can't remember how) and saving the files locally before running them. Sometimes file downloads will fail via Windows Update.
Community Veteran

updates

Yup, you can do that. Within Windows Update you need to go to "Preferences" (or something like that) and set it so that it displays the "Windows Update Catalogue"... that allows you to search for and download updates individually.

Thomas
Community Veteran

updates

Thanks for the suggestions - I went to the help/support on the Windows Update site, and got help (I know , it surprised me as well!). The problem may have been with the spyware/virus scanner/firewall I run, but I temporarily closed them down and followed the instructions, and it seems to have worked.

I never thought I'd hear myself say theis, but thanks Bill.
Cheesy

John