cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unacceptable request response delays

N/A

unacceptable request response delays

Before upgrading to ADSL I had a Connect Lite account, and as that was so amazingly cheap I accepted that browsing was often a bit slow.

However I'm finding browsing often even more frustrating with my ADSL account because despite the astonishing speed of downloads and completion of big pages, I often have to wait 20 seconds or more for the server to respond to a URL request.

Of course on some occasions it may be that the server at the source is to blame, but to check this I keep the free-online home page open in a separate browser window, and when I have waited more than about 10 sec I request a refresh of that page. Very often I wait for another age, then suddenly both requests are granted virtually simultaneously. When this happens I presume that the delay is with Plusnet rather than the source server.

Any comments (particularly from other ADSL users...)?
2 REPLIES
geewizz
Grafter

Re: unacceptable request response delays

Before upgrading to ADSL I had a Connect Lite account, and as that was so amazingly cheap I accepted that browsing was often a bit slow.

However I'm finding browsing often even more frustrating with my ADSL account because despite the astonishing speed of downloads and completion of big pages, I often have to wait 20 seconds or more for the server to respond to a URL request.

Of course on some occasions it may be that the server at the source is to blame, but to check this I keep the free-online home page open in a separate browser window, and when I have waited more than about 10 sec I request a refresh of that page. Very often I wait for another age, then suddenly both requests are granted virtually simultaneously. When this happens I presume that the delay is with Plusnet rather than the source server.

This is exactly the same test I used to check my own connection. I'm using the Standard Connect account, so its not broadband, but I had exactly the same results as you had. however, with it being narrowband, large pages don't download in one, they hang. I also tested this Free-online connection against my Tiscali connection and timed a series of downloads. I stopped the experiment earlier than I expected when it became clear that the problem lies in the Free-Online connection.
Free-Online have explained to me about the contention ratio on Standard Connect and I understand the economics of that. But I don't understand how your Broadband connection can be facing the same problems.
N/A

Re: unacceptable request response delays

Sounds very similar to what I am seeing. Have you had any success resolving it?

Cheers,

Chris.