cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

uk.co

N/A

uk.co

anybody out there got a uk.co address (or did have perhaps I should say)Sad There are 8000 of us somewhere??
Pam
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,878
Registered: 04-04-2007

RE: uk.co

> anybody out there got a uk.co address (or did have perhaps I should say)Sad There are 8000 of us somewhere??
> Pam

There are alot of people out thier that do.

as unfortuante as it is, hopefully people will learn from this lesson - if you are going to buy a domain, buy a real one.

Chris
espresso_mick
Grafter
Posts: 225
Registered: 30-07-2007

RE: uk.co

> as unfortuante as it is, hopefully people will learn from this lesson - if you are going to buy a domain, buy a real one.<

They were real, wern't they?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/29359.html

I actually hadn't heard of these domains but as the article on the above link says they may be back.


Community Veteran
Posts: 5,878
Registered: 04-04-2007

RE: uk.co

They are not a full top level domain, or even a proper second level.
In the same way you wouldn't call your username.plus.com subdomain an actual domain.

.co domains are of course proper, they are the country domains from Columbia.

Chris
N/A

RE: uk.co

> > as unfortuante as it is, hopefully people will learn from this lesson - if you are going to buy a domain, buy a real one.<
>
> They were real, wern't they?
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/29359.html
>
> I actually hadn't heard of these domains but as the article on the above link says they may be back.
>
>
>They were very real and worked very well with the search engines so I carnt see the problem with them not being propper

Community Veteran
Posts: 5,878
Registered: 04-04-2007

RE: uk.co

I know they worked, as does your plus.com domain, but you should always be dubious about things like that.

Why buy a .uk.co 'subdomain' when you can buy a proper co.uk, com, net which always looks more professional?

>I carnt see the problem with them not being propper

the fact of the problems they are having now should convince you otherwise.

Chris
N/A

RE: uk.co


> Why buy a .uk.co 'subdomain' when you can buy a proper co.uk, com, net which always looks more professional?

If you had seen the marketing material on the .uk.co website, you would understand full well the potential of such a address.

Overall, DNS logs from two LANs I manage, show that .uk.co is users 0.51% more than the .cx TLD (and .cx is pretty common). And in that, around 70% are actual web-sites, leaving 30% as very viable targets for purchase.

.uk.co is no different to the .uk.com domains names.

Sombody has simply registered the name, and is selling sub-domains (though the .uk.co was a little different).

However, it must be said. You must know who is the maintainer of the TLD, and that they will gurentee access, before you consider it as a business possibility.