cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

types of modems help needed

KimT
Grafter

I have just bought a wirless router hich takes a DSL modem that conect to the broadband modem through a WAN prot. My modem [supplied with my f9 package] is a USB modem

I gues that I will have to buy a new modem than is WAN rather than USB. Will this work with my Force 9 broadband?

or can you suggest any other work around so that I can wireless net work all my PCs

thanks

Kim
4 REPLIES
N/A

Confusion Confusion??

Hello again,
Your question is very confusing and its not clear to me what it is your trying to achieve here with all this?

I'm guessing but I wonder if what your aiming to achieve is connecting mutiple machines (home networking) and giving web access via ADSL and a router?? If this is right I fail to understand where the modem comes in??

It doesnt sound like you would need a modem but I might be wrong?? you'll have to enlighten me on that one?

Ivan
KimT
Grafter

modem type

I have bought a router that doesnt have a built in modem so the picture is:

phone line into

modem into

router

My broadband modem connects using the usb, whilts the router wants a ethernet connection

I am guesing that all i need to do is change my modem for one that uses an ethernet rather than a usb connection.

however being a dummy I wanted to check because the router says it works with DSL/cable. I assume DSL means ADSL?
N/A

Replying

Hello Again,
Good morning, well in reply. I think what your miss understanding here is that you dont need both (I think?) Look at it this way.

Phone Line into router -> Router connected to a Cat5 cable (your own local home network,etc) -> Cable connects to your PC/Server via a network card, typically a 10/100 network card.

**This does away with the requirement for a modem.

**DSL = Digital Subscriber Line
**ADSL= Asymetric Digital Subscriber line (asymetric because the upload and download speeds are not the same as each other).

**Like why would you need a modem plus a router, use one or the other preferably the router. This would give you a permanent ADSL web conection to F9. Your router would require a fixed IP address (and preferably either NAT or firewalling switched on to give added protection agains hackers,etc.

**Why does your router also require a modem? this I dont understand at all.

Ivan
N/A

Kim,

if you have brought a router without a modem, then yes you will need to buy a ethernet DSL modem to plug into the routers WAN port, or take your current router back and buy one with a built in modem, 3Com do a really nice modem/router/firewall/accesspoint for about £100

hope that answers your question

Darren