cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

turning on and off system restore points

Community Veteran

Hi

Either I'm the only idiot around here, Shockedops: or everyone else knows where to look for answers, but here's another one.

As previously stated I'm using XP Home edition SP2, with all the avialable updates.

I've noticed that, when I right click my computer, and go to properties, the system restore tab is no longer there. The only instructions I can find take me here to turn these on or off.

In the past, I've had to turn them off to get rid of the annoying remains of a virus.

Where has the tab gone, and how do I get it back?
(My sons' computer is also on XP Home etc, and the tab is still there! Evil )

John
3 REPLIES
N/A

XP Restore points Ivan

Hello John,

OK just read your post about XP home system restore service. Now I have XP Pro so home version might be a little different (so I'm NOT 100% certain here).

John, nagivate to the following: start button, start menu, settings menu, control panel, system, (you should have the tabbed properties page now), select the tab system restore, on the system restore tab you should see a small check/tick box. IF the check box is ticked then system restore points are enabled but if the box is unchecked the system restore is OFF or disabled.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: If bye any chance this box IS still greyed out then the problem could be one of user permissions I suspect? and it might be that only the full Administrator on your machine will have the correct permissions to turn system restore on or off?? i.e. depends upon users login into windows & that users level of permissions.

Also note: I seem to remember one problem with XP home is that it doesnt have a systems administrator account as part of the setup. Administrator isnt an obvious account on your machine but I cannot recall how you get around that issue. I know there is some way, I just cannot remember how you do it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**NOTE: on my system it clearly states that if you turn off system restore for drive C: i.e. your system/boot drive (the drive that contains windows itself) then all restore points for ALL drives are also turned off.

Hope this helps otherwise PM or email me (ivan@cyteck.co.uk)
Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
Community Veteran

Thanks for the reply. This route takes me to exactly the same properties window that I get to by right clicking on "my computer" and going to properties.

The restore points tab has vanished. As I said before, my sons' coimputer is running the same operating system, with the same updates, but has the tab.

Any other ideas? Cry

John
N/A

System Restore Ivan

Hi John,

Ahh!! now I understand more precisely the nature of your problem. To be honest with you thats very weird and I've never come across that issue before ever with XP.

**One thing you could check is that if you go into windows explorer and have a look on your C: drive, have a look in (left hand pane) directory/folder tree. See if the tree includes a folder called "system volume information" (note: the folder will denie you access, as its a protected system folder) this would I think indicate that the system restore function is still enabled. Why? I hear you ask, because the system restore service uses disk space to save & restore data from /to its part of how it works.

**If your folder tree doesnt include the folder system volume information then I think its pretty safe to say you DONT have system restore working.

**What is more worrying IS how you've lost the restore tab in system properties thats still a complete mystery to me too. (PS: I've been working with windows 2000 & XP Pro on and off since both products were launched some years ago) I have a good level of working knowledge on both versions but I wouldnt claim to be an expert bye any means though.

**Sorry! I really dont have any more ideas on this one. The only other thing I could possibly suggest would be to make good quality backups of all your data & programs. Then reformat & perform a complete system rebuild and then once you have XP home re-installed from fresh, next run a restore and then see if the restore tab re-appears but frankly that seems a wee bit drastic. However, if you can live without either the system restore tab or the system restore service then I might be tempted just to ignore this and live with this. i.e. if it aint broke dont fix it.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!