Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transfering files

cannylad
Grafter

transfering files

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to get programs/files from my PC to a laptop using a USB cable, or is there another way?

Thanks
Cannylad
5 REPLIES
N/A

Transferring Files

tynesider:

Can't say I've ever had to do this myself, but I believe you should be able to do it using HyperTerminal: "Connects to other computers, Internet telnet sites, bulletin board systems, online services, and other computers using either a modem or null-modem cable."

HyperTerminal: Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Communications.
N/A

Transfering files

Hi,
OK! where to begin, there are sevaral methods I could out line (USB being only one method) as this is a subject close to home.

Yes! you can use hyper terminal but I dont really recommend it to you. However what I highly recommend is the following:-

1) That you purchase a USB transfer cable which comes with its own small piece of excellent software for windows machines (I think its win98 or above versions). The software is called "PC Links" and comes on CD with the cable. I purchased mine from a company called "Netshop" and cost about £20 inc the software. URL is http://www.netshop.com or .co.uk

2) Yet another excellent method that has other advantages is that you purchase an "Interlink" also called a "Laplink" cable which also cost no more than £20 from a good computer shop. This cable has male 25pin at one end and 25pin male at the other (It fits your printer ports on both laptop and desktop) i.e. parallel port (also called LPT1) to parallel port.

Next you will need a program called (again fantastic piece of software) Link Maven version 2.0. You can download a free trial version which is fully functional (The program only costs again about £20 or $39 if you actually buy it)
I have used this method and it's especially good for transfering files between different versions of windows from win 3.1 through to XP. The software is simple to install, simple & intuitive to use and works great.

URL is http://www.briggsoft.com/lmaven.htm

Hope this helps you best regards Ivan :-)
cannylad
Grafter

USB Transfer

Hi,
Thanks for your help, its really appreciated.

Thank you
Cannylad
N/A

Yet again!

Hi,
Pleasure to be of help, I think you will find both of these methods work great and for the costs involved represent extremely good value for money.

Do let me know how you get on with that?

Best Regards to you Ivan
N/A

transfering files

Instead of paying for software buy a couple of network cards and a crossover cable for less than you would pay for the software recommended. Then in the future if you setup a home network - which you will have already with the 2 boxes with this method - you wont have to pay for network cards.

You have maybe already taken the software method as your post was a while ago - so hopefully anyone else reading this topic will take these comments on board.