cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to firewall or not

N/A

to firewall or not

I was on a forum tonight reading about hackers/crackers, 1 of the posts pointed to this story about a hacking of their site. It is quite a long read but it is an interesting read. Also if you have BlackICE defender as your firewall, I think you should read this or atleast read the end of it where he tests a couple of firewalls.

http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm
9 REPLIES
espresso_mick
Grafter

RE: to firewall or not

I think that's the most I've ever read at one time on a website. Nearly a couple of years old but never the less, very interesting.

Glad to say I don't use BlackICE. (I wonder if it's improved at all since then)
N/A

> I was on a forum tonight reading about hackers/crackers, 1 of the posts pointed to this story about a hacking of their site. It is quite a long read but it is an interesting read. Also if you have BlackICE defender as your firewall, I think you should read this or atleast read the end of it where he tests a couple of firewalls.
>
> http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm

Hi thanks for the info. I dont use Black Ice either. I am running on Windows XP Professional and I am very happy with my Norton Anti Virus and Firewall. Its stoppted a Trojan Horse about an hour ago and I know who sent it thanks to the tracker.So my advice would be always to get a decent anti virus and firewall but make sure they are compatible with your OS and each other if you dont intend buying from the same program maker.

Prior to the purchase of my Norton Firewall I used a free download of ZoneAlarm's firewall and it worked very well,although this is not the full program.I searched for info for ages on what would work best etc.ZoneAlarm's Firewall worked well with my Norton Anti Virus on XP Pro and most Techies said that it would play up with my OS and the Norton Anti Virus.

I will always protect my pc with the best Anti Virus and Firewall programs I can afford.After all you would'nt leave your car unlocked would you.....
espresso_mick
Grafter

I also use Norton AV & Firewall, I reckon they are the best, but I know for whatever reasons, some people don't like them.

What I didn't say earlier is that just before I posted that, some Swedish git tried 97 times to access my PC.

I always check my firewall logs and do a trace to see where the attacks are coming from and then I e-mail the ISP about the abuse. I haven't had any reply yet from that ISP, but I have had a response from a few others in the past, who said they were going to take the appropriate action.
--
www.micksworld.plus.com

N/A

> I also use Norton AV & Firewall, I reckon they are the best, but I know for whatever reasons, some people don't like them.
>
> What I didn't say earlier is that just before I posted that, some Swedish git tried 97 times to access my PC.
>
> I always check my firewall logs and do a trace to see where the attacks are coming from and then I e-mail the ISP about the abuse. I haven't had any reply yet from that ISP, but I have had a response from a few others in the past, who said they were going to take the appropriate action.
>
> --
> www.micksworld.plus.com
>
Goodevening Gents
I have Norton AV and I am perfectly happy with it but carnt find a firewall program. I tried Norton Security and found it slowed my PC down terrbily also I hav a couple of sites in the US I have to link up with and it wouldnt let me even though I told it to allow. I tried Outpost and it kept dialling up the internet. I have also had a look at syngate and didnt like the look of it. Deep down I feel Norton is best any advice I run XP Pro
Pam
>

N/A

You can also run a test on your firewall from the site that that extract was taken from.

http://grc.com/default.htm

N/A

You can also run a test on your firewall from the site that that extract was taken from.

http://grc.com/default.htm

N/A

>
> You can also run a test on your firewall from the site that that extract was taken from.
>
> http://grc.com/default.htm
>
>

Zone Alarm pro works fine for me, in conjunction with my router's built in firewall capabilities. Only ever had a problem with one oik trying to gain access - suffice it to say he/it failed. Gibson Research Corp's site does some very good security tests that'll find any open ports or services that are running on your PC without your knowledge.

GM

N/A

> I also use Norton AV & Firewall, I reckon they are the best, but I know for whatever reasons, some people don't like them.
>
> What I didn't say earlier is that just before I posted that, some Swedish git tried 97 times to access my PC.
>
> I always check my firewall logs and do a trace to see where the attacks are coming from and then I e-mail the ISP about the abuse. I haven't had any reply yet from that ISP, but I have had a response from a few others in the past, who said they were going to take the appropriate action.
>
> --
> www.micksworld.plus.com
>
> Hi Mike

Yes I am very pleased with my Norton AV and Firewall. I did use the free download of Zone Labs ZoneAlarm with 98se and then my current O/S Win XP Pro but having read up on Firewalls I decided to go for the Norton Firewall as I felt it would run better with the AV as that was a Norton.There would be no conflict that way I felt.

I have had a site in Utha try and hit me with 27 Trojan Horses and then a site in Poland tryed to hit me with 3 Trojan Horses this weekend !what kind of scum are these people !! But I never thought about e-mailing them ? I wrote down all their details but did not know who to report them to ? I was a bit worried that by e-mailing them I might make it worse for myself ? Is there no system in place to report them ?

Cheers Fiona

espresso_mick
Grafter

>Is there no system in place to report them ?<

The only thing you can do is do what I do and report them to whatever ISP they are using and then just hope they will do something about it.

I did get a reply from the ISP of the attacker I mentioned earlier, as follows: -

"Thank you for your letter. Your message has been received and registered at
No. (ID: 9756 ). All abuse reports will be looked into/analysed, however,
not all mail can be answered personally. TELEKOMUNIKACJA POLSKA takes all reports
very seriously and will do as much as we can to respond appropriately to all
abuse reports.
If your letter doesn't include the timezone stamp, please resend this
message including this stamp (GMT +/- your local time).

Thank you!"

If you go to www.symantec.com and click on 'Security Response', there is a tool you can use to trace a potential attack. I sometimes use this along with a program called 'Sam Spade', which among other things, after inputting the IP address in your firewall log, you can find out what ISP they are using. You can download the program or use the online tools here: -

http://www.samspade.org/

Pam, I haven't used Norton Internet Security, only the stand alone Personal Firewall. I am using XP Pro as well, but I don't have any problems.
Does it install a few things (more than the firewall & AV) and run them from startup??