cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

these figures ok from the router?

N/A

not kept up with whats acceptable with db readings from the router but just been upgraded to 2mb and it dropped connection once last night and the error rate is fairly high.

it doesn't seem to affect the connection at all but just for that peace of mind i thought i'd post em up.

ADSL STATUS

Showtime Firmware Version: 3.14
Line State: SHOWTIME
Modulation: G.dmt
Annex Mode: ANNEX_A
Startup Attempts: 1
Max Tx Power: -38 dBm/Hz
CO Vendor: TEXAS_INSTRUMENTS
Elaspsed Time: 0 days 22 hours 20 minutes 5 seconds

Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin 18.8 30.0 dB
Line Attenuation 53.4 27.0 dB
Errored Seconds 506 35
Loss of Signal 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 572 60
Data Rate 2272 288 kbps
Latency FAST FAST

9 REPLIES
N/A

Connection Stats Reply,Ivan

Hello warmadmax,

I've had a look at the stats you posted and they seem OK to me, the only figure that sounds abit high is your downstream line attenuation figure of 53.4 Db which I have a feeling should be more like lower 40's (about 43 db) but I'm no expert on this.

Ivan

PS: does your router have a manual or online guide, or makers website where you might be given an explaination of these figures in detail and what the acceptible norms might be? worth a look I think!

------------------------------------------------------------------
F9 / FOLForum Moderator
Running F9 Broadband Premium 2MB's
N/A

You seem to have 2MB, so the figures must be fine... however, if the line keeps dropping you may have a problem. If its practical, you should perhaps try and plug the router into the Master Socket, behind the wall plate (I can't give more info unfrotunately) and see what figures you get...
N/A

yeah its deffinatly 2mb, i know i'm on the outer limit for it any how.

only dropped the once, its the errored seconds that is disturbing, dont think it was near that high on the 512k rate but nerra mind.

tis running quick and thats all that matters :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
doomreaper
Grafter

Sorry , how do you find out what a router is connecting at ?
I hve no little icons in my start bar since i got a router, i have a cable r45? goig from teh pc to the router and thast it, nothing to show when or how fast its connected. I only know it is because i can get a web page and or i look at teh flashing lights on the router.
(starts to feel kinda sheepish now)
N/A

Router Stats Ivan

Hello doomreaper,

In reply to your question, in most versions of windows (dont know about linux) when you are connected to a network including the internet, you should have a little connection icon sat in your system tray (looks like a double PC& screen). Normally with a live connection if you touch this icon with your mouse it should give a tool tip which shows the connection speed (mine for example says speed: 2.2Mbps). Alternatively you can click on the icon and it should tell you the speed as well as other details like how long this connection has been up & running,etc.

**OK! some broadband routers (and modems) dont have the ability to give you statistics about your phone line or connection quality. I guess this is how some products & makers keep the prices down bye not including these functions. The more expensive routers & modems for BB do include features that test the line & connection & line quality and then log such information which can be quite helpful.

**You should have had some sort of software for setting up your router?

**Connecting to the internet via ADSL (broadband) has also to be done in windows & bye creating a new connection (there is a wizard that steps you through this process in win2K & XP) once the new connection is working you should have the tray icon.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
doomreaper
Grafter

Hiya Cyteck,
welll i found the icon , hadnt set iy to be show had i .
although i would guess something isnt right , well it says i connect at 100.Mpbs , have to admit that would be nice LoL . ah well im sure we wont be upgraded line wise till the rest of the country is done so it dosnt matter really . Thanks for teh info mate
N/A

Speed of your connection? Ivan

Hi doomreaper,

If you have a home network i.e. a LAN with other computers connected to it using cat5 cables & network cards & your router (and NOT your internet connection) then perhaps the connection speed might be correct?. Network cards can be 10/100 auto-sensing and so its possible that network card has defaulted to 100Mpbs but you should be able to find that out. I doubte this is your actual internet connection thats saying 100Mpbs (unless you have the wrong figure perhaps you have 1MB or 100Kbps??).

Do you know what your connection speed should be? what product are you using? What modulation type have you got your router setup to run?

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
doomreaper
Grafter

ermm youve lost me somewhat in there my friend, i know i should have a 1meg line and indeed i get a dl consistant with that, so im happy , i just got interested when i saw you talking about getting connection speeds reported from routers. I have a belkin adsl modem router with my pc connected via cable but also two other pc's and two laptops conecte via wireless. the setup/configuration was all automatic im afr4aid so anymor ethan that i just dont know.
i guess teh old saying is very applicable here, if it isnt broke dont fix it.
Moggy
Grafter

Wow, was connected this week to 2Mb (Freebie). Going like a train.... Thanks F9.