cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow speeds need new isp

N/A

slow speeds need new isp

Anybody got any ideas which ISP won't screw me with crap d/load speeds when I d/load stuff thru a p2p networkHuh
I've had enough of plusnet and their throttling habits...
5 REPLIES
gswindale
Grafter

slow speeds need new isp

Try here. They've never caused me any problems in the past 2 years I've been with them. Sure there is a slow down in the evening, but what do you expect once everyone is home from work and on the internet?

Failing that, pick any ISP you like and no doubt they'll start to screw you any way they can.
shellsong
Grafter

slow speeds need new isp

Hi billyspiller-- I guess you didn't check out peoples grumbles about PlusNet before you joined otherwise you never would have!

Don't pay any attention to gswindale, he joined at a time when PlusNet were at their best and it wasn't considered a sin to download more than about 15 GB per month in peak time-- that was a time when my family's total usage varied between about 30 GB and 140 GB and out of consideration we would try to keep large downloads out of the peak period and save them for the wee small hours. I can only assume from his devotion to PN that he never downloads anything worth talking about which makes him perfect for PNs present appalling business model

In September 2005 PlusNet introduced the SUP and the service has been getting worse and worse ever since-- not really surprising sing the capacity of the Centrals has stayed about the same while the customer base has more than doubled

I would suggest you look at the ratings on dslzone and in particular have a look at the more recent customer comments of any ISP you are interested in-- my own preference is clear from my sig but unfortunately my local exchange hasn't been enabled by them yet! Cry
gswindale
Grafter

slow speeds need new isp

peak downloads last month were somewhere in the region of 12GB (just below my 1st level of management), whilst off-peak were 19GB (down on the past 2 months slightly).

I'm a frequent P2P user, but obviously not one of the heavier users. I just know that the service I've had here is better than that with my previous 3/4 ISPs (over a 10 year period).

I would agree with shellsong that it pays to check the reviews and ratings on dslzone and also thinkbroadband, but remember, you are more likely to read/hear bad things about any ISP than good - it's human nature that way.
Community Veteran

slow speeds need new isp

indeed. If you are on the right package for your needs (IE not on broadband plus when you want to do peer to peer downloads) then plusnet are a PDG ISP at the moment. They aren't perfect and it would be wrong to represent them as so, but they do give a damn, which in my book counts for a lot.

Anyway looking for another ISP. Read the reviews, do your reasearch, be prepared to pay for the service you want.
N/A

Referrals

Have had enough. Months of paying high rate, poor connectivity, temporarily fixed when I report a "fault". It seems that he who grumbles last gets moved to the top of the queue for connection at busy times. Plusnet's suggestion that I refer some blameless friend or relative was enough (I've no need to lose friends). Never thought I'd say this, but I'm off to BT!