cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow connection access

cannylad
Grafter

slow connection access

When I click on my F9 dial up icon on my desktop it takes about 1 min for it to come up on my screen so that I can connect. Does anyone have any idea why it does this as its only happend recently.

Thanks
Cannylad
5 REPLIES
N/A

Slowness on DUN

Hi,
Unfortunately you dont give enough information really for me to make a useful diagnosis (help you!). Like what version of Windows are you working with (or operating system windows or non windows) what kind of modem do you have, what kind of F9 account do you have. What software are you using to set-up your dialup connection.

**It might be a question that your dial up settings have become corrupted or damaged or have lost one of the vital settings if its not working.

**In some cases where the DUN settings are not working as required its often actually quicker just to delete the icon & settings in windows and recreate the DUN settings from scratch.

If you want to say abit more I'll try and help you out here.

Ivan :?
cannylad
Grafter

slow connection access

Hi, Thanks for the reply.
It seems that it is not just my internet connection that won't run atraight after start-up, the rest of my programmes won't either.
I'm using
Win XP
self install ADSL Dialup connection
US Robotics Sure Connect

Cheers
Cannylad
N/A

App wont run either?

Hi Cannylad,

OK! if your applications wont run either then this sounds abit more serious, possibly like you have some OS problem. That is a serious problem with your copy of Windows XP, if that is the case what actaully happens when you attempt to load programs? are there any error messages? have you had any start up error messages? does your machine hang at all? (blue screens?).

One possibility might be if your trying to run WinXP on hardware that is not of minimum specification or not on the MS hardware compatibility list. WinXP is pretty picky about having the correct hardware specification & hardware that is above the minimum specification.

If all else fails & your machine is of the correct specification & above the minimum required spec for the hardware,etc Then I would go back to basics and wipe the HDD and perform a completely fresh install of XP and all your app's, Yes! I know this sounds & is a pain and I know its very time consuming but its one of the most likely things to work. (the downside of this process is that it wont tell you what caused the original problem,but if this doesnt matter too you so much then this is a good route to follow in my opinion). It can save time messing around trying numerious things which wont help solve the issues involved. With re-installation's you can just crack on with the job knowing that you 95% chance of total success in the end.

**Another thought I had is have you added any new hardware or memory sticks to your machine. Bad or incompatible memory sticks/chips can cause XP problems. Bad or corrupted hardware drivers can also upset XP in a major way too.

Hope this might be of use to you? Best Regards Ivan
cannylad
Grafter

slow connection access

Hi,
Thanks for that.
My computer freezes from time to time so as you sugested it might be a good idea to do a full install.
I would have thought Norton System Works, would have sorted it out as I run it quite often and I've also done a defrag and virus check.
Thanks for your help and I will let you know how I get on...when I have the time to do the full install that is.

Cheers
Cannylad
N/A

System Maintinence Programs

Hi,
The problem with programs like Norton System Works is that "they are programs too" and thus prone to the same problems as other programs on your HDD. In other words these maintinence kind of programs have there limitations too, they cannot solve or fix ALL problems.

**Note: If you have a corrupted or physically damaged system file or windowsXP DLL file neither a virus checker nor a disk defrag tool will detect this nor fix it.

** Same also can be said of bad or damaged memory chips or damaged hardware driver files. Scan disk or norton,etc wont find it or tell you about it.

Yes! let me know how it goes and wheather a reinstallation fixes it, it should do unless you have some fairly serious hardware problems.

Ivan Cool