cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

security issue

N/A

security issue

I need to know how to block msn messenger from connecting to the internet ... can i just block the port it uses ... how do i find out what this is ... how can i block it - what software (that can easily be hidden) - the more secure the better.

Many thanks - Chris
(please dont bother asking why)
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: security issue

Or maybe some way to log all of the messenger and internet activity?

Preferably freeware!!
N/A

> Or maybe some way to log all of the messenger and internet activity?
>
> Preferably freeware!!

I don't know of any software that will enable you to disbale messanger. However, you can download Tweak UI power toys which is a GUI tool that runs in conjunction with group policy editor. You can obtain it directly from www.microsoft.com.

Best Regards,

Dave Watson.

--
| David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
espresso_mick
Grafter

The only way I have found to block Messenger is by using a Firewall. I use Norton Personal Firewall.

You could first block it using the firewall and then hide the firewall programme somewhere on your hard drive(because it would be easy to re-enable). Make sure you delete the Start menu entry for it and disable the system tray icon.
You could even set up restricted access or passwords for folder the firewall programme is in.

If you just want to log everything that goes on with the chat programmes try the following free programme I found on ZDNet.

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2150-10149022.html?tag=lst-0-3

Mick
N/A

Why dont you just unistall the dam thing. If you are on Xp putting sp1 gives you the option to unistall.
or use one of these methods

First method:
XP hides some system software you might want to remove, such as Windows Messenger, but you can tickle it and make it show up everything.

If you'd like Windows Messenger to show up in the list of programs you can add and remove from Windows, navigate to C:\WINDOWS\inf (substituting the correct drive letter for your version of Windows) and open sysoc.inf. You'll see a line that reads:

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

Change this to the following and Windows Messenger will appear in Add or Remove Programs, then Add/Remove Windows Components, then, and you can remove it for good:

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,7

You can then go to the Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel, select Add/Remove Windows Components and there will be your prey, exposed and vulnerable.

Second method:
Run this command in the CMD window:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Note: This will prevent a long delay when opening Outlook Express if you have the Contacts pane enabled. To prevent this, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Right click in the right pane and select New, Dword value. Give it the name Hide Messenger

Double click this new entry and set the value to 2.

A firewall like outpost will block it and you can password protect it. If you are using win2k or xp you can set policies to sto it as well.

the ports are gateway.messager.hotmail.com

and block port 1863 but it does tend to try another port if this is blocked.

> I need to know how to block msn messenger from connecting to the internet ... can i just block the port it uses ... how do i find out what this is ... how can i block it - what software (that can easily be hidden) - the more secure the better.
>
> Many thanks - Chris
> (please dont bother asking why)