cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restricting website access

keithivan
Grafter

How can I restrict which countries have access to my website?
--
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: restricting website access

> How can I restrict which countries have access to my website?
>
> --
>
Why need that?
You got stuff you don't want the yanks to see?

N/A

> How can I restrict which countries have access to my website?
>
> --
>

Such tasks are not the easiest to accomplish, and you will never prevent them fully.

Here are a few reasons.

1: Software that does this function, usualy uses rDNS value. IE, the lookup information on the IP, and look at the domain name and TLD.

In the case of .com, which esentialy is most of the US, but is available to the world to use (Look at +Net, there is .com). Blocking this blocks all +net users and a measurable portion of the internet from your site.

AOL Is another example. The address will end in aol.com regardless of the country of access.

2: IP addresses themselve, are usualy assigned to regions of the world, but again, it is impossible to gurentee this, and you could end up blocking non/all, or even non/all of the world.

3: Browser information. SOme give away tell-tail information about where the person is from. However, with most set to en-en, or en, or en-us, this isn't much use.

Aditionaly, programs that clean/string the information sent, to reduce finding person details or such, will likely take this ability away.

4: Proxy servers. You can bloxk a country, but then they can then use a proxy server. The proxy server details will be shown to the server, which may pass, again allowing them access.

Proxy server are becomding more common, with both the use of connected LANs, insecured machines, and people looking to protect there online identity.

The only real way to get around all this? A registration system, where you have to send a fax or snail mail, and then expect a postal or fax reply. Costly, time-consuming, but the only simplistic way.
keithivan
Grafter

> > How can I restrict which countries have access to my website?
> >
> > --
> >
>
> Such tasks are not the easiest to accomplish, and you will never prevent them fully.
>
> Here are a few reasons.
>
> 1: Software that does this function, usualy uses rDNS value. IE, the lookup information on the IP, and look at the domain name and TLD.
>
> In the case of .com, which esentialy is most of the US, but is available to the world to use (Look at +Net, there is .com). Blocking this blocks all +net users and a measurable portion of the internet from your site.
>
> AOL Is another example. The address will end in aol.com regardless of the country of access.
>
> 2: IP addresses themselve, are usualy assigned to regions of the world, but again, it is impossible to gurentee this, and you could end up blocking non/all, or even non/all of the world.
>
> 3: Browser information. SOme give away tell-tail information about where the person is from. However, with most set to en-en, or en, or en-us, this isn't much use.
>
> Aditionaly, programs that clean/string the information sent, to reduce finding person details or such, will likely take this ability away.
>
> 4: Proxy servers. You can bloxk a country, but then they can then use a proxy server. The proxy server details will be shown to the server, which may pass, again allowing them access.
>
> Proxy server are becomding more common, with both the use of connected LANs, insecured machines, and people looking to protect there online identity.
>
> The only real way to get around all this? A registration system, where you have to send a fax or snail mail, and then expect a postal or fax reply. Costly, time-consuming, but the only simplistic way.

many thanks for you answer phillip. I,ll pass the info to my daughter who is way ahead of me in this field.
N/A