cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remote access from work using static IP and Internet Explore

N/A

Basically wondering if anyone knew a way to access my netwokr hooked up to my adsl router from work. I basically want to be able to go to work and access my home pc's files ONLY USING internet explorer. I have no rights at work to install additional software as part of company policy. Any help would be greatful. I was thinking of using a static IP address in some way and the address ot my router but wot do i know?
14 REPLIES
N/A

Well... It's possible.

What sort of access to your files do you want? and how much of the PC do you want to access?

If it's just a set of files in a directory (and sub directories), you could quite easily run web server software on your PC an allow those files to be accessed by that. You would need to look at the level of security you wanted. If you want more capabilities, then maybe looking at adding WebDAV services on top the the web server.

Hope that helps for the moment.

Neil
N/A

cool. I basically just wanted a list of file really and sub directories. I tried to get decent server software but cant find any that are free. Even if they are not free could you please tlel me of any you knwo and where to donwload them. Thanks
N/A

sorry about the spelling was in a rush
N/A

The world's most commonly used web server (HTTP Server) is Apache, and it's free. See http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi
N/A

Not Too Picky Here?

Hi
I hope you dont think I'm being too picky here, but does your company or employer allow you access to your home network/system from work? The only reason I am asking this is that I wouldnt want to you to get into serious trouble or hassles with your company/empoyer for not having asked them in the first place (to do this?).

It's only that some companies are extremely sensitive about just this kind of issue (from a security point of view!) and perceive this a weakening there security or potentaily weakening it?

If you have your employers full permssion or they know what your doing and have full knowledge of it then I apologuise for raising this issue.

There is another angle to this, which is concerned with your own systems/networks security. I was wondering if you might be better off looking at creating an FTP access to your own system from work or possibly using terminal services again to gain access to your own systems & files.

**You could run a terminal server or FTP server on your machine, these are just other thoughts I had on your issue, just another way to approach the same problem or achieve the same end.

**With an FTP server you would have the added security of protection via a username & password.

**Yet another option could be PCAnywhere version 10 or yet another remote access solution (which is free!) called TightVNC. F9 have quite abit of information on this software if your interested?

Hope this helps (doesnt completely confuse matters though?)
Ivan :-)
N/A

Task's right, apache's good.

What to you run on your PC - Windows XP / 2000 / ME / 98?

If it's any of the above, then you can use Microsoft's PWS (Personal Web Server) (for ME and 98 ) or IIS (Internet Information Server) for 2000 and XP (Professional definately, not sure about Home edition).

Regards

Neil

Edited for typos!
N/A

but doens't tight vnc and pc anywhere require you to have a viewer installed at work? I want to set up a sever ftp http or whatever I'm not bothered that means I can view my ocmputer through Internet Explorer.
N/A

Not as far as I know!

Hi jhutti,

Thanks for your comments, Well PCAnywhere doesnt require a viewer. But you might be right about TightVNC (as I havent used it myself). With an FTP server you would still need a normal client FTP program from work to view your files & directories (provided you gave them the correct permissions of course).

And if runing an HTTP server then of course you would just view them from within IE or whatever browser your using. I would be a little more concerned regarding the security aspect if using http, athough it is possible to add extra security if required.

Ivan
N/A

cool

cool. any idea where to download a trial version of pc anywhere?
N/A

Re: cool

cool. any idea where to download a trial version of pc anywhere?

Try http://www.symantec.com/

Neil
N/A

tight vnc is free (also more secure - my opinion so no flames) so has an advantage over pc anywhere - home page is here http://www.tightvnc.com/

run a vnc server at home and then access it through a browser - which I do when away from home. I run linux so dont know the windows setup but it will be documented on the site or in the docs that come with the install files.

Spid
N/A

OKAY NOW THAT I HAVE DOWNLAODED vnc how do I make it so that I can connect ot my PC from work? there are no options that I can see and I dont udnerstand the help section. Is there not a palce where I type in an IP address and click place my computer online at this address or something? please somebody help
N/A

I think the problem jhutti has here is that Software installation is forbidden or blocked.

Jhutti, try RemotelyAnywhere. It runs as a Java application through internet explorer so you wont need to download or install any other applications.

Some people at my work use it because they have all the normal ports blocked by the firewall, apart from port 80, which RemotelyAnywhere uses!

This lets you FTP files to and from and remotely control the PC etc...

Runs as a small webserver on your home PC so you install it there.
N/A

OKAY NOW THAT I HAVE DOWNLAODED vnc how do I make it so that I can connect ot my PC from work? there are no options that I can see and I dont udnerstand the help section. Is there not a palce where I type in an IP address and click place my computer online at this address or something? please somebody help

HoKaaaayy, First in order for this to be reliable you'll need either a fixed IP address from force 9, or if you have a domain use dyndns.

Second you'll need to set up your router to direct incoming requests on the VNC port 5900 IIRC (it's been a while :roll: ) but you can & should change it to something stupid like 15256, also check your firewall will allow this port to remain open and listening.

then into the IE explorer address bar type http://<ip addy>:<portNo>

and I think that's about it.