cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

redirecting domain names

N/A

redirecting domain names

Can someone tell me how to point my f9 domain name at an external site. I am trying to point www.something.me.uk at www.something.co.uk. Do I need the other sites ip address? or do I just confique the dns settings? Please help.
3 REPLIES
N/A

Domain Names & redrections

Hello thecats,

First of all who is hosting your www.something.me.uk domain name for you?

I have a feeling that whoever is hosting your .me.uk domain name for you needs to add a record into their DNS servers database, so that when a user puts the URL or web site address "www.something.me.uk" into their web browser it is then associated with your F9 domain name "www.something.co.uk". In other words its is redirected or forwarded to your F9 domain name. (possibly vis versa too, that F9 might need to modify their DNS records in their database too?)

**Sorry! I'm a little rusty now on my DNS stuff but I think this is essentially correct.

**I also suggest that you contact F9 by phone or open a support ticket if your NOT in a rush and ask them how they can setup a domain name redirection for you.

Hope this makes sense & helps?

Regards Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

redirecting domain names

yer Ivan is correct. I am assuming you want people to type into their browser www.something.me.uk and then it goes to www.something.co.uk.

Find out who manages the something.me.uk address. Check the name resolution for www.something.co.uk works ok. Tell the holders of www.something.me.uk to add a CNAME entry to lookup www.something.co.uk. This will set an alias up so everytime someone puts www.soemthing.me.uk it looks up www.something.co.uk and then resolves that address.

The down side to this is that, you might have to rely on 2 dns databases to be up at all times, as something.me.uk will have to resolve somethinng.co.uk on another dns server to resolve the name. You could always have the addresses for both servers in the same database, but then the people holding your zone file need to have the tags to hold the domain.

hope this helps
N/A

Further thoughs Ivan

Hi,

Yep!! I agree with the comments made by spink, another thought I had which is also worth you bearing in mind is that a re-direct or domain forwarding process will delay the website loading as the name resolution process will take a few seconds longer to work. So for example instead of your site loading in 3 seconds it might take 5or6 sec's.

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User