cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"hello" and "good day" virus email!!!

N/A

Hi,
I keep gettin this email virus that is really annoying, it sends about 14 each time I load Outlook Express .

The subject title are various, "Hello", " Good Day", " Sever Report", and they include things like,
"Here are your bank details"
"Hello"
"7 Bit encryption Binary File"

I have used various spyware and virus removers but it won't go!

Can anyone help?

Chris Sad
5 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Chris,

Yes! there are several things you could try, these are just suggestions. 1) In outlook express itself you could create a spam or junk folder and then setup a rule using the rules wizard and use the "subject" or "from" field to filter these emails. Thats OK as far as it goes but its doesnt stop the email from being downloaded onto your machine.

2) you could get yourself a copy of a program called Mailwasher its been around for several years now and is highly recommended & rated. MW allowes you to see the mail on the server BEFORE you download it & so you can delete the junk or viruses off the server and only retrieve what you want. Mailwasher has a learning filter system that can learn what is junk,spam or viruses as you use it, you can also easily and quickly setup a blacklist which flags up the rubbish and a friendslist for the good stuff, you can also block or blacklist an entire email domain such as AOL or Yahoo if wanted too.

3) contact F9 suport or open a ticket from the portal and give them the precise details and ask them if its possible to block those items in future.

4) if the spam gets bad you could report it back to spamcop who can report the spam/virus mail to the network admins from where it came, this can help.

5) you could ask F9 to blackhole your mail box by setting up a direct for all the junk but this should only ever be considered as the ultimate last resort and is only used in extreme cases where a user is being sent thousands of spam.

URL's

http://www.mailwasher.net/ or http://www.firetrust.com/

http://www.spamcop.net/

Ivan
N/A

Thanks Ivan,
I am thinking about only allowing a few certain email addresses for myself like,
kovy@kovyrecords.f9.co.uk
psp@kovyrecords.f9.co.uk
info@kovyrecords.f9.co.uk
sales@kovyrecords.f9.co.uk

Please can you tell me how I can get this done? And if I can add and delete certain addresses that will be blocked?

Thanks for advise,

Chris
N/A

Hello Chris,

Although you havent said which method your going to try and use, I'm assuming your going to use OE 6.0 which comes with windows. OK! there are two things you can try, as follows:-

1) open OE goto the Tools option (menu), select Message rules, next you should see the message rules dialogue box which has three tabs on it. From this dialogue box select "Blocked Senders" option, next select "add sender", select mail messages and now enter the email from (where ever the email was sent from) **To find the orginal email address were the mail was sent from you can do x2 things a) open the header and look down the list until the original senders address is found or b) see if the junk mail has a return path. But note ALOT of junk mail has spoofed email address's in other words these arent real legit email address's they dont actually exsist. And thats a real pain and a real problem too. **If you decide to use message rules, the rule will automatically move the junk to the delete folder so when you close OE the junk gets deleted.

2) Or from the message rules dialogue box I mentioned above, see the other tab (message rules option), Note: OE has a very good x6 step explanation in the help files which will help you setup a rule to block junk or virus's etc.

Ivan
N/A

Hi

Don't forget to create the mailboxes you want to collect from via the portal!! e.g. Create mailbox kovy in the portal. To collect the mail you will need to set up the mail client to collect mail from username+kovy and the password you set up.

Raise a ticket with CS and ask them to blackhole mail sent to any addresses that are valid on your account. You do not need to have a postmaster account, but ensure you have an account where you can receive messages from F9 and let them know what it is.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Thanks Guys!
I will keep you posted on what the outcome is,

The advise was great,

Kind Regards!

Chris