cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"THAT POST" on ADSLGUIDE

N/A

"THAT POST" on ADSLGUIDE

Ok, what do you reckon to this post on adslguide then, I know what my thoughts are, but I am keeping quiet til I hear others lol

New postPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:57 pm Post subject: Message from PlusNet Marketing Director Reply with quote
Some of you may know me, others won't. It doesn't actually matter who I am. But for right now I'm the Marketing Director at PlusNet. What does matter is that I've been reading the various posts over the last few months and been watching how this forum has degenerated into a personal conflict zone pandering to self righteous egotism. Hmmm, big statements maybe. Consider this though, why do the same people feel the necessity to spend an unhealthy proportion of their leisure time making postings (I'm assuming they are all gainfully employed and therefore using leisure time to post). It doesn't stand to reason that all these people feel *so* passionately about lambasting PlusNet that they spend a disproportionate amount of time doing so. Unfair comment? Perhaps. But that's what it looks like to anyone who's been observing. Then you start looking at people's potential motivation for doing so and you start to realise that there's more to it than just 'protecting the weak and fighting just causes'. I won't start down that road; it won't help anyone or anything.

PlusNet is not going through a great time right now. That much is obvious. The reality is though that it is in a period of reconstruction, recreating the service that it became known for in the last few years. In the meanwhile time doesn't stand still and neither do markets. PlusNet has weathered worse. It continues to grow and offer great value. It's done some messed up things. God knows I've been responsible for some of them too. Could we have done things differently? Sure. Is it an evil empire headed by a dastardly Sith Lord plotting to annihilate the republic and free speech? Nah.

We work hard and believe that what we do is the best for the customer. We've truly screwed up our support on the back of the ADSL Max rollout and our implementation of the migration to Tiscali LLU process. We've screwed up a couple of other things too. But we're painfully honest about it. We will tell you and put our hands up to it. How many people talk about what's good? Not many, because that really isn't any fun is it?

Anyways, back to support. We're fixing that. It doesn't happen overnight. And yes I am expecting a bunch of customers to take their business elsewhere. But most customers will stick with it. Why? Because for all that is said and for all that we screw up, we still do it no more than anyone else does. Financially, most people who both count the pennies and want a good product know that they get a better deal here. Is that me justifying ourselves in the face of the rest of the market and 'better the devil you know' or 'best of a bad bunch'? Not really. I can see most of you thinking 'LMAO' and 'ROTFLMAO' or some other clever acronym laden with irony. I'm past caring what you non-interested parties think. Why? Because you have no moral stake (or shareholding probably) in PlusNet or the service that we give. You actually have no right to judge. Customers who have problems with us have every right to feel annoyed and ticked off. Those people deserve for us to make time for them. Some of you guys? Not in a million years.

ADSLGuide was the first place I used to look when trying to see what customers felt about us. Now? I look at the feedback we get in other ways. I also look at all our numbers (customer growth, churn etc) and see what's going on with them. I use the service and get as frustrated as customers do. That motivates me to make stuff better. It motivates me to speak to customers directly and hear how bad we've been directly from them. That's the only way we can improve. Not pandering to the over inflated egos of ex-customers and people who have never been customers who clearly have agendas that only they can truly be interested in. So ADSLGuide no longer plays a huge part in keeping me in touch with what customers are feeling and experiencing. But if I want to see hard working members of PlusNet staff, who are just trying to help, being personally attacked and vilified, then I will come straight here.

Excuse the diatribe and potentially lax syntax and grammar. Therapeutic though it was for me, I'm sure it made for <delete as appropriate> painful - amusing - boring reading for the majority of people who could be bothered. The outcome is that I'm asking all people who work at PlusNet and who post in here to stop from doing so. Immediately. I’m sure this will make for some colourful debate. We’re not going to respond or take part. If you want to use any part of this as an out of context quote, then go right ahead. Again, we won’t be responding (oh and I’ve already sent it to the Register and ISP Review before you ask). When the people who moderate this place can be bothered to bring it back to what it used to be, we'll get stuck back in. And gladly so. For right now, we're not. We'll keep an eye out and check for the odd actual customer who may have ventured in here. If you’re actually a PlusNet customer and you want to talk to us, we'll be in our own portal forums and the forums on the PlusNet UserGroup site , as well as any other 3rd party forums that provide a home for a healthy community to engage in reasonable debate about broadband. But wasting time responding to some of you self-absorbed phonies? Not any more.

See you on the other side

Marco

Marco Potesta
Marketing Director
PlusNet Plc
33 REPLIES
N/A

"THAT POST" on ADSLGUIDE

sorry, just realised, this wasnt posted in the best of places, mods feel free to move it, and accept my apologies

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Only just spotted this one so I have now moved it from Braodband help to General discussion
Firejack
Grafter

"THAT POST" on ADSLGUIDE

Great post. Made my reply

Well what a brilliant and quite stunning post. Finally someone, a member of Plus.nets own staff no less, has stood up and told the forum trolls to go find a new place on the Internet to spend their said little lives.

Increasingly for many months Plus.net has been having problems. I'm more then a little unhappy with them but I'm even more unhappy with these silly school kids or sad old men ruining what used to be a perfectly useful source to find quick and friendly help to problems facing many customers.

No one has the right to spread insults and rumours about Plus.net the way these idiots have. They have only extended the length of a problem by taking up huge amounts of Plus.net time wasted trying to correct the nonsense these individuals insist on posting.

Personal vendetta's and crusades of those who feel cheated by Plus.net have no right interfering with those customers who have genuine faults and are seeking support.

These people should realise they are part of the problem and not the solution. They are making it harder and harder for us paying customers to get the support we are entitled too. Very selfish actions from the stupid few.
Smiley
N/A

"THAT POST" on ADSLGUIDE

why want that posted here as well?
N/A

"THAT POST" on ADSLGUIDE

I am starting to wonder if Marco Potesta's posting on ADSL Guide is actually legit. If it is, then it seems to be a little unprofessional. If it's not, then it's no more than a well-aimed troll. Public forums will always be used to give underperforming services a hammering.

Anyhow, I think everyone affected by plus' recent issues want a return to reliable broadband provision...so I am unsure how Marco Potesta's posting will assist.
N/A

"THAT POST" on ADSLGUIDE

I read the main post with interest, i started as a mildly frustrated plus net customer of 3 years, and am now, after 3 weeks of no broadband at all, posting in a less than balanced manner, and in my last post accused plus net of trying to manipulate the statistics on how long a line fault takes to fix by asking me ( and possiby others ) to retest the line just as your fault exceeds the current average outstanding time, 12 days the first time and 7 days on the current open fault, possibly not helpful in general debate but.......

Possible co incidence on the last point but as of now, 7.46 on 20 July I have been without service for a long long time, referred a complaint to CISAS ( who have yet to respond after 3 days ) and am still awaiting a response to a complaint and other comments loged with plus net at 7.41 pm on 14/7, 9.33 on 16/7, 7.21pm on 16/7 and 5.57 on 19/7. One of which was headed as a formal complaint, which I have since resorted to sending a copy by reistered post as it has so far been ignored.

I have a job, wife, kids, hobbies to take part in, I am spending more time in the forums as at present they are the only source of advice or suggestions as there is no customer service, I estimate that I am wasting an hour a day looking for suggestions ( good thread on USB modem v router last night, I'll be down the computer shop today ) and waiting for dial up to bring up my open questions which show no progress.

Are there people on here who want to knock plus net for no reason other than personal gain, possibly, but most of the posts I have read appear to have been from customers who are experiencing, like myself, massive levels of frustration with a company who now appear to be retreating further into their shell.

These observations are based on these forums, not the PUG, as, as I have no PN service, I have been unable to register on that site.

ianandsuzanne, no service since the day of 'upgrade' 28 Jue 2006, now off to work 30 minutes later than planned.

(PS if the original post was someone taking the piss, very effective, got me hook line and sinker )
craiglay
Grafter

"THAT POST" on ADSLGUIDE

Hear Hear...

I'm glad someone has spoken out. I too am a little fed up with opening the forum every now and then to find hundreds of posts bashing +net and CS. Its getting tiresome to find the posts that may stand a chance of helping the community.

I have just refered someone to +net and as a new connection, got MaxDSL. It has been a little shady for the first 2 weeks but usuable for email, http, occasional http download. I raised a ticket for them and always got a reply within a business day from a very helpful CS member. As a result, BT have corrected a fault on THEIR network (They have been up and down the line for days) No shouting, ranting, offensive posts etc. The people I refered didn't even realise they have a problem other than a few disconnections (nothing different from dialup).

Indeed through all of this, I have a 2Mb connection that has been solid, can download no probs off peak with a slight reduction during peak, the email prob didn't affect me much and I am generally happy with my service.

As with LLU though, I can't comment as its not available around here but many posts suggest a few modem / router tweaks do the trick.

I understand that many people are suffering with broken connections and big problems, but my experience is that patience will solve the problem, after all, most problems have to be refered to BT and i have experience dealing with their cs before broadband and the amount of problems their "admitting" stuff. Repeated ticket posting and forum bashing will not solve the problem.

Keep up the good work CS.
N/A

"THAT POST" on ADSLGUIDE

If all is going well with you, then I am sure it is not fun to read people complaining.

Problem is when things go wrong, then it is the long waiting times and tickets being returned with reset your router and contact us again if you still have a problem that will make you see red.

I have been a customer for years at +net and in general I was happy. I most likely have a common problem, a struck bRAs in maxdsl. The line values, speedtest, etc are all well set out for the problem in the net. I got a number of "standard" replies that clearly showed a lack of time in reading the ticket. After a ping pong of tickets with answers like reset my router just after I have stated that I have tested with several routers from neighbours etc.

People have no where to vent there hassles, when the ticket system fails and then post here.

The only time I got a phone call was when I asked for my MAC key.

Now I am sure every staff member is trying hard to get things working and that is a good thing. However, the support service is not coping and it is resulting in a poor service (if you have a problem.) If you never have a problem, then +net is good value and good service.

It is bit like someone who tries very hard to succeed in an exam, but the standard of work is not good enough. You fail.

If me, plusnet has failed and I will be leaving. Maybe in the future plusnet will get things sorted and be good again, I don't see this happening in the next 3-6months
N/A

"THAT POST" on ADSLGUIDE

I understand that many people are suffering with broken connections and big problems, but my experience is that patience will solve the problem

I have had an unstable adsl connection since the 8th of May (following the maxadsl "upgrade.") I have been very patient. My adsl physical connection drops frequently each day. Sometime it reconnects in seconds, sometimes it takes ten minutes or so. Each time, my vpn to work drops (obviously.) This is not ideal for a home worker. In the evening, online gameplay is b0rked for the same reason. I have had fault calls open from the start.

Whilst I do not hold plusnet responsible for all of the problems, I am a plusnet customer and I pay them for a service. Plus' service delivery is backed off to LLU via a SLA. If I could escalate the fault to the upstream provider, I would. Unfortunately, I cannot...therefore I have to leave this to plusnet and their overwhelmed support staff.

Consider this analogy...if you were a Sky subscriber, would you be happy if you couldn't watch any of the satellite channels?
N/A

"THAT POST" on ADSLGUIDE

The bottom line is that cumstomers are suffering, and problems are not sorted.

Like many others, I experienced connection problems when my line was "upgraded" to Max. I work in IT, and have pretty good understanding of how DSL etc. works. It seemed pretty obvious the problems are caused by DSL software management system, and hinted that to the customer service, but the CS couldn't resist to brush me aside (just in case I'm a novice and don' t know what I'm talking about) blaming just about everything and everybody else. At one point, the CS even suggested that the copper wire is in much worse quality than the identical house next door. Of course, the copper quality must have dropped suddenly one day two weeks ago. Good work, plusnet CS.

Let's face it. I've been with PlusNet for years, and I believe like most of plusnet customers, we chose and stuck with plusnet, not because of rock bottom price, but the reputable customer services. Now, once that element is gone, there's little for us to stay with PlusNet. Sure, PlusNet is having problems with its wholesaler, but that's really not the concern of our end users. If you buy something from the shop that's not up to standard. What would you do? Listening to the shop complainning about the wholesaler and still cashing in your money, or get your money back quick? Com'on plusnet, use some common sense, admitting faults and posting some "heroic" admission in a third party forum are simply not good enough!
Prunesquallor
Dabbler

"THAT POST" on ADSLGUIDE

If it was genuine, then it was probably the most unprofessional posting from someone representing a company that I have ever seen. It certainly doesn't give me confidence in the management structure of the company.
N/A

"THAT POST" on ADSLGUIDE

Well, I am with Craig on this one..

IF..this is a genuine post, then i think in part, it should have been said, people can leave if they wish, or weather out the rough patches like most of us have done.

I understand that the ones with new contracts are sort of stuffed when it comes to leaving, but I am sure that Plusnet are trying their hardest to sort these problems out, and I dont remember a time when companies actually put their hands up saying, yeah ok we stuffed it all up, but we are trying to fix it.

If its not a genuine post tho, I think maybe Plusnet should come in here and either confirm or deny it...dont do a Bill Clinton lol!
N/A

"THAT POST" on ADSLGUIDE

but I am sure that Plusnet are trying their hardest to sort these problems out,

I don't think so... after back and forth with plusnet about my connection problem many many times, in the latest reply from the CS, I was told to check my router's firmware, test the in master socket etc, which is pretty much the same with the first reply I had. PlusNet, please give your customers some respect. We are not as dumb as some of the CS agents.
N/A

"THAT POST" on ADSLGUIDE

But this is my point you see, you infer there that the CS personell are dumb...which is hardly fair, but when a PN employee basically says what Marco has said, all hell breaks lose. You cannot expect people to just sit down and shut up when they are being called dumb can you...You wouldnt yourself I am sure, you would stick up for yourself or your family if someone inferred that, and I think that is exactly what this post is doing.
N/A

"THAT POST" on ADSLGUIDE

I hope it is genuine as it one of the most refreshingly honest replies I have seen in a while.