cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Security" services & spam filtering

N/A

I notice that the product descriptions for Premier say it includes spam filtering, among other things. As a legacy ADSL Home customer, this appears to be a £2.50/month chargeable service for me. Am I right in thinking I should immediately request an upgrade from ADSL Home to Premier (a free upgrade, according to the upgrade guide) to get additional services I may be "entitled" to, or do I already have access to spam filtering* without being aware of it?

Peter

*Yes, I can filter out most spam with Outlook or Thunderbird, but I'd prefer to avoid downloading it at all if possible.
11 REPLIES
N/A

I notice that the product descriptions for Premier say it includes spam filtering, among other things

Hello Peter

Before you get too excited about this I think you should know that the PlusNet spam 'filter' works by tagging your mail as spam - you then have to rely on your email client to remove these messages. This is because of the risk of false positives - you wouldn't want them to delete legitimate mail. I've been using the service for around 10 months now and have had 2 of these - so it's not that much of an issue.

The filter takes quite a bit of training, but works reasonably well once you get going. I use it in addition to SA Proxy which runs on my PC, and between them they get rid of about 95% of spam - not quite up to Demons standards, but tolerable.

The name of the program that detects spam on the server before download is called Mailwasher, a commercial program that gets rave reviews from people who use it.

The Plusnet anti virus on the other hand is excellent and works briliantly.

Hope this is of some help

Rod
Community Veteran

Again, I'm in similar position. I'm still listed as a Home self-install customer.

Do I get all the extra benefits of the premier package, or do I have to ask for a move? I have asked the question elsewher, but not had a reply yet.

John
N/A

I'm 99% sure you need to move to the Premier Account to take advantge of it.
Community Veteran

OK

How do I request a move from the £21.99 Home self install monthly, to the £21.99 premier monthly?

I'd have thought the move should have been automatic, unless someone's been watching the "brand new customers only" ad's on TV Smiley

Is this a case of working to attract new customers while ignoring those loyal customers who have been with FOL for a number of years?

John
N/A

I think you'd need to raise a ticket, otherwise you're likely to be charged £15 for the privilege.
N/A

self install vs premier - me too

Hmm.

I must admit, Free-online are really messing about a lot at the moment. There was the very poor rollout of FUP, where it wasn't clear how speed upgrades would take place, whether or not I needed to change package, whether the upgrade was automatic and when I could expect it to happen.

Then all that was suddenly scrapped, but the speed changes are still to happen as some point!?! And the packages are changing; right now it looks like I'm currently left paying for a legacy package that is the same subscription fee but has a few less features than other newer packages. I would have expected the change of package to be automatic, rather I feel that I have to watch Free-online closely to try and understand what they are doing and that I'm getting best value for money. Having to raise a ticket to avoid paying £15 is just frustrating too - surely the system should be clever enough to see the two packages as equivalent.

I must admit, as much as I've liked Free-online's service, all this messing around is starting to bore me. It's very tempting to jump in with a different provider and get 1 or 2Mbps in a predictable timeframe.

Sorry,

Mike
slev
Grafter

HI

Have a look at the link below to find when your exchange is due for the upgrades which then should give you a good idea.

BT speed upgrade programme

http://www.free-online.net/support/adsl/speed_upgrade_scheme.shtml

Hope this helps
N/A

Anti Virus & anti Spam services

Hello Peter,

I just thought I'd add my bit to this thread as it seems relevant. I've just made the change from the old ADSL home self install 512K annual force9 product to the new Force9 Broadband Premuim service 2MB monthly contract (not the free upgrade though I did pay a one off £14.99 to move up sooner). However YES! I can confirm that the premuim product / service does indeed come with both anti virus and anti spam features bundled with it. Once you have upgraded or once the upgrade process is completed then you have to go to the portal and actively enable these features for your account.

I have found that both the spam service & anti virus service are now working well for me and they have both been catching some nasties which Mailwasher would have fladded up and I would have deleted off the server myself. So for me the anti spam & anti virus are just another layer or protection and work well with what I already use.

**I was more concerned with anti virus than anti spam & it definitely catches stuff at server level so it doesnt even get as far as my webmail inbox let alone have to be picked up by Norton AV on my machine.

Ivan

Thanks Ivan. I requested the upgrade just the other day (processed efficiently by FOL as usual), but I wouldn't have noticed I needed to activate these services without your message.

Peter
N/A

Anti Virus service from FOL

Hi,

Your welcome! :lol: Just get those services activated ASAP!! that should certainly help prevent another infestation. Sadly, the internet is flooded with rubbish like that. However I know FOL and Plusnet Force9 manage their network better than some ISP's I could mention which means there is lower level of virus activity, I've not come across many cases of users becoming so badly infected from FOL.

**Anyway the online anti virus service is very helpful but dont give up on local anti virus software like Norton AV this is still definiately required. I tend to think of the FOL anti virus as belt & braces.

Ivan

----------------------------------
PN,F9,FOL Forum Moderator
Runnng Broadband Premium 2MB
N/A

Re: Anti Virus service from FOL

This does appear to be a rather clever scam by FOL.

I pay £21.99 for ADSL Home Install plus an extra £2.50 for the "security" package.

Yet for free I can move to ADSL Premier for £21.99 and get the "security" package included for free!

As the change is free, why have I, and others, been paying the extra £2.50 and can we have a refund?

Gavin.