Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question on upgrade

N/A

question on upgrade

Hi

Hope someone here can help.

My exchange appears to be upgraded to 2 mb (my ADSL modem connects at this speed) however my speed is capped at 1mbit. From Customer support I understand that I need to change my account in order to get access to the 2 mbit speed.
Currently I believe Im paying 29.99 for 1mbit, and I have looked at the upgrade account section, and the closest match I can find is the 2mbit monthly broadband premier - but this is cheaper than my current account - so does this mean I will incur a "downgrade" charge?

If I go with the 4 mbit account - this is currently not supported by the exchange, so what would I get for the additional £8 per month?

Thanks in advance.

Kapila
15 REPLIES
N/A

Upgrade Reply Ivan

Hello Kapila,

OK I think the quick answer to your question is No! I dont beleive you will be charged a downgrade fee becuase YOUR NOT downgrading your actually upgrading (forget the prices here for the moment).

From what you've said above your actually upgrading from 1MB to 2MB and thats the most important thing.

**Upgrade = from slower to faster i.e. 512K to 2MB's
**Downgrade=faster to slower ie. from 2MB's to 512K

**If your BT exchange shows 2MB service and you have already been upgraded to a 2MB service, & if your connection now says 2MB's the next thing you must do is contact F9 Customer support either by phoning them or open a support ticket and ask them to UNTHROTTLE your connection (its probably NOT capped at 1MB). Your 2MB line has to be unthrottled before you will actually get the full 2MB's.

**Forget anything to do with 4MB's or 8MB's these speeds & products are NOT currently available and wont be available (despite what other people seem to think?) before XMAS 2005 and in reality more likely they wont be available before the end of March 2006 in my opinion.

If I go with the 4 mbit account - this is currently not supported by the exchange, so what would I get for the additional £8 per month?
Answer is ZILCH!! so dont waste your valuable money on something that doesnt exsist yet. We will all be in the same boat as you, having to wait for these speeds & products.

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

question on upgrade

Well it looks like no matter what option I select, there is a £15 charge Sad so much for the "free" upgrade.
N/A

Fee's & Free's

Hello kapila,

As I understand it,

** if you are downgrading then yes! there is a fee for this.

** if you are changing type from say annual to monthly then yes! there is a fee.

** if you want to jump from say 512K upto 2MB's more quickly than the free bulk upgrades & regrades being undertaken by BT for F9 then yes! its then a paid upgrade (I know because I've just been through that process).

**F9 announced FREE upgrades in conjunction with BT's work upon their own network, that involves BT exchanges being upgraded and this is being done exchange by exchange and is under BT's control not F9's but it is still free. This will result in most people being upgraded initially to a 2MB service with faster speeds in the future.

** And I beleive Force9 have also recently scrapped any jioning or setup fee's for ADSL products when you become a new customer with them.

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

question on upgrade

Well it looks like no matter what option I select, there is a £15 charge Sad so much for the "free" upgrade.

But you're saving £8 per month - two months and you're on the right side. It's a no brainer. Also, ask yourself if you need the Permier package. The 'regular' Plus package is £14.99 per month, (with a one-off £29.99 charge I think) The only difference (I believe) is that some applications get routed onto higher contention links at busy periods.
Works great for me and I'm happily saving £7 per month for a four fold increase in speed over my previous package.

Cheers

Mark
N/A

question on upgrade

Hi,

YEP!! I agree very much with Marks comments it makes alot of sense. :lol:

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

question on upgrade

if force9 have scrapped new customer joining and setup fees - just cancel your account and then open up another one Smiley
N/A

Re: Upgrade Reply Ivan

**Forget anything to do with 4MB's or 8MB's these speeds & products are NOT currently available and wont be available (despite what other people seem to think?) before XMAS 2005 and in reality more likely they wont be available before the end of March 2006 in my opinion.

Well thats pissed me off ive been lead to believe by all of the force9 team that it WILL be available by sept, and for that reason i downgraded to the 4mbit cost package....
N/A

Upgrading Confusion

Hi toothycritter,

As far as my current understanding of the internet & telecoms technologies go 4MB's & 8MB's are dependant upon the next generation of broadband which I believe is called MAXDSL or ADSL2. These new technologies will bring with them much higher speeds ie. those above 2MB's.

MAXDSL is still in the BT field trial stages and will only be rolled out to ordinary joe blogs users like you & me when the BT trials are completed and its dependant upon the success or failure of these trails. The BT trials are to help BT iron out any issues before its offered as a commercial service. These trials only started in April and are due to end bye Sept 2005. So I personally would be quite suprised if a 4MB or 8MB service is offered by Sept 2005 but hey! F9 staff might know something the rest of us dont, which might be possible.

**Personally I wouldnt hold your breath though!! or get your hopes up either!! These jumps in technology ALWAYS take longer than you expect or hope and I say that based on my own past experience of such things.

**Only a very few UK ISP's such as Bulldog & UKOnline are able to currently offer speeds above 2MB's right now today!!, this is because they have their own kit located inside BT exchanges and can in effect offer unbundling of the local loop. Access to such services above 2MB's is very much a lottery and dependant upon location UKOnline for example is limited to London & Glasgow only at this time. So unless you live in one of these areas I strongly doubte you'll get this kind of speed service.

**As I dont know what you were told by F9 Plusnet or lead to believe by support then I cannot comment, these are my own views & opinions but I have worked for sometime in IT & computing and I do like to keep up with the latest industry news & developments in the technologies. All the relevant information on speeds & ADSL and the next generation technolgies is easily found as its within the public domain.

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

question on upgrade

Ivan mate, i know all of these details on the technology and surely you must of been reading the threads on here of when maxdsl is expected to roll out (not all speculation, many posts from f9 employee's also).
I think that if this date was never expected to be achieved then they should of not of even considered implementing the 4 and 8 mbit account options... they should of simply put everyone onto the 21.99 account and not of been greedy.

I am seriously considering leaving and encoraging people i have got to join f9 to leave with me...
N/A

question on upgrade

Hi toothycritter,

In all the forum postings I've seen over the last few months & I have read a considerable number on this subject at no! time have I ever seen promises made for 4MB's or 8MB's no! definite dates given. If you dont believe me why not contact Force9 directly by phone or their by contact us ticket & ask them when will you be offering me 4MB's or 8MB's.

when maxdsl is expected to roll out
Yes! thats precisely what it is an expectation which bye its very definition is NOT a certainty. Its NOT a given. Unfortunately I think your expectations are a little off beam , as I said 4MB & 8MB's are NOT going to be available unless 1) BT's trials are completed & successful & thats not going to be before Sept 05 or
2) Force9 Plusnet do a deal to put their kit in BT exchanges which is the equivalent of LLU then fare enough speeds above 2MB's are easily possible. But I cannot see that happening in the near future either.

**Sorry! you feel so unhappy with the service you have presently, its a fact of business life that unless companies make profits they go under then you wouldnt have any F9 or service at all.

**I've seen made people I know move ISP's several times but the outcome always seems to be the same, they never reach that ISP Nirvana they seem to think exsists somewhere out there. Good Luck Best Regards Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

question on upgrade

Ivan, you seem to be comming across very patronizing. You keep on repeating things i allready know and probably knew about MAXdsl before you did, and i NEVER once said that they PROMISED a set release date of sept. All i said was we where lead to believe the date would be in sept and if this was not the planned date then they should most certainly not of offered the 4 and 8mbit packages so far ahead of the release date. Please read more carefully next time...
P.s. im also a business degree student so i don't need a lecture on basic business management....
N/A

Reply Ivan

Hello toothycritter,

I think the way you described or worded your previous postings was VERY unclear and NO! I'm sorry if you thought I was being patronising that wasnt my intention at all, its very easy in these kinds of dialogues to cross wires or mis-understand one and other.

I got the destinct impression from your postings that you are very upset or abit angry with F9 Plusent as you seemed to be suggesting that some where along the line that you had been promist and that you would definately get the MAXDSL or 4/8MB's in September coming, the only point I have been trying to make the whole time is that the circumstances are extremely vague and these changes are at best still in BT's hands (nothing more!).

Sorry! I still dont fully understand why you are so upset about something that you yourself acknowldege
and i NEVER once said that they PROMISED a set release date of sept. All i said was we where lead to believe the date would be in sept
. Oh! NOW I understand why your so upset SORRY!!

I've got you now. YEP!! Frankly I agree with you on this issue and I DONT agree with it either, I have no idea what has possessed F9 Plusent to offer this, its way out of order in my opinion too. Offering something that cannot be delivered way ahead of the expected release dates or time frame before these products coming on stream just doesnt make any sense to me either. And Yes! I agree its a very good way to upset customers, who ever dreamed this one up should have thought it through more clearly, NOT good PR Agreed!!

PS:- I hold a Certificate in Management Studies with the OU which took 3 years & completed a Microsoft Windows 200 M.C.S.E course which I paid for myself.

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

question on upgrade

Hi everyone
If everyone is so well kwollif-eyed why can't they spell?
N/A

question on upgrade

Try typing at a half decent speed, i regularly hit extra keys or miss buttons out and if you understand what im typing why does it matter? this forum is for disscussion not for writing essays.