cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem mk2: timeouts and connection loss

N/A

well after raising a ticket about my problem (which although people tried to help in these forums it didnt do much sadly, as it turns out its not that problem at all), and getting nowhere i once again return here to see what people think.

my line is a 2mb Premier account, and my hardware is sound, i tested it on other stuff and it works fine. now my modem (a DG834 v2 i believe) keeps randomly losing synch, most often during peak times although ive had it at 3am before. and it stays unsynched for anything between a couple of minutes to up to 16 hours.

this first started occuring back on friday the 21st of october, in the evening when it dropped for over 16 hours. ive noticed that during the morning these was some alteration done to a core router and given i was at work before the problems in the evening and no-one else uses the line, im wondering whether there is a correlation.

the thing that makes zero sense is i had none of these problems before the 21st since mid august. i'd like any suggestions on how to go about getting this sorted as if i t continues even after me querying it im gonna have to leave Force9 as im not paying for something that doesnt work half the time.

i havent even linked the 2nd and 3rd pcs up yet, as the time i was going to this all started happening.

ps. anyone have any idea why i can only hit a max of 60kb/s on torrent programs , and when using torrents it horrendously slows either the main or any additional pc's net surfing (of any type) attached to it.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

The problem of random disconnections & loss of sync on broadband are a very very common phenomena. I had this kind of problem in the first couple of weeks after my new BT line was installed and activated for the first time. In my case these disconnections were identified as due to line noise (SNR), way back then I was able to phone BT myself and a very helpful BT DSL engineer ran a number of tests on my line and he did the following things, a) balanced the line, b) tweaked the gain which in turn helps in reducing the line noise and since then my line has been very stable.

**The noise levels on your line might increase during the peak periods which would go some way to explain it. i.e. more activity more noise.

**Line noise can increase or decrease at any time, its only that it takes a critical level of line noise to trigger a disconnect or sync loss.

**Contact BT and ask then to check you phone line i.e. report it as being very noisy (and what ever you do NOT mention the internet or F9) its purely a voice calls test that you want them too do. If the line checks OK then go too F9 and ask them to run a whosh test on your line to see if the line stats can throw further light on the problem.

Ivan
N/A

Hi

I am suffering disconnections although I do not loose sync only the ppp connection. My router is also a DG834G and I know of a few other people who are also suffering the same disconnections on my local exchange. I have opened a ticket as has at least one other person that I know of.
To me it looks like a firmware upgrade by Plusnet has made connections more unstable.

Vince
N/A

This was posted in the +Net newsgroup earlier today. Not sure if it is relevant?

What sort of router are you using? We are investigating a problem which is causing some models of router to disconnect, this seems to affect NetGear routers more than others.

Regards

Mark
N/A

I've got the same router, and i have no problems. I think it could just be your BT line, get the test done by BT, then contact F9.
N/A

Interesting.

I have an Asus router, and over the last two or three weeks it's been dropping connection two or three times a day (on average), and I have to reboot the damned thing to reconnect.

I thought it was on the blink, and was considering replacing it - but maybe my router's fine after all.
N/A

The more I read and know the more I am beginning to think it is definately a Plusnet/F9 problem. It is unlikely to be my line as I know far to many other users who have started to get the same problems as me at around the same time.

I already have a ticket open with Plusnet so hopefully they will be able to look into it and sort something out.

Vince