cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£35.00 to change hosts

N/A

£35.00 to change hosts

I wish to change the company that hosts my web site as he charges £99.00+vat a year to someone a lot cheaper but he is going to charge me £35.00 + VAT to change the tags and has parked my site so it cannot be accesed Anybody any comments on this as I think its rediculous
Pam :angryfire:
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: £35.00 to change hosts

If the new price + £35.00 + VAT is less than £99.00 + VAT you should be better off in the first year. If so it's better to pay and move !

ncreu
Grafter

> I wish to change the company that hosts my web site as he charges £99.00+vat a year to someone a lot cheaper but he is going to charge me £35.00 + VAT to change the tags and has parked my site so it cannot be accesed Anybody any comments on this as I think its rediculous
> Pam :angryfire:

You probably agreed to this in the T&C when you signed up. Why don't you start using the PlusNet hosting and abandon the domain name?

http://www.organicdairy.plus.com/

You could try calling Nominet and asking if there is anything they can do to help. If the domain is organicdairy.co.uk then it looks like its registered to Saysitall Limited, which presumably is not your business. If you really want to keep it you'll probably have to pay the £35 to have it transferred into your own name.
N/A

ANY company that charges for changing an IPS tag on a UK domain should be ashamed on themselves. How long does it take, what 10 seconds.

Tip for the future - check T & C before signing in the future. If they charge for such a trivial operationm stay well clear.

An another note, I baulked at PN charging £49 per year 2 years for hosting a domain. Just found out that DEMON charge £200 per year!!!! How the hell do they get any business, if people pay that for domain hosting and email forwarding ONLY, then they must have more money than sense or are simply not all there!
dhumble
Grafter

Pam, It is quite common for a host to charge a fee to release your domain name IPS Tag.

I've ran into this with Freenetname. They want a 94ukp 'administration fee' to realease the IPS tag so I can use it for my Plus.Net webspace instead.
I won't bother and Nominet are unlikely to assist as the terms and conditions clearly stated the charge.

Maybe not a solution in your case but, as Freenetname webspace is free, all I will instead do is a bit of javascript page redirection. Anyone visiting that domain name will instantly be redirected to my Plus.Net pages.

To add further insult, there is no mechanism for an ISP to relinquish a domain name after a period of non-usage. They can just hold onto the name until you pay up. :mad:

David
N/A

> Pam, It is quite common for a host to charge a fee to release your domain name IPS Tag.
>
> I've ran into this with Freenetname. They want a 94ukp 'administration fee' to realease the IPS tag so I can use it for my Plus.Net webspace instead.
> I won't bother and Nominet are unlikely to assist as the terms and conditions clearly stated the charge.
>
> Maybe not a solution in your case but, as Freenetname webspace is free, all I will instead do is a bit of javascript page redirection. Anyone visiting that domain name will instantly be redirected to my Plus.Net pages.
>
> To add further insult, there is no mechanism for an ISP to relinquish a domain name after a period of non-usage. They can just hold onto the name until you pay up. :mad:
>
> David

Hi
I have looked on his web site and he dosnt have any t&c He has a cost section but nothing in it about how much if you want to leave him. I never had anything in writing just a bill and a letter telling me all my settings.
I have found out from the company that owns my domain name I can change the administrator no problem So I shall do that(I have a good name for my business that I wish to keep) and proably just pay him the £35.00 for 5 min job thats £420.oo an hour Solicitors get less
Its just the principal of the thing.
cheers
Pam
>

N/A

All this refers to a .co.uk domain.
I had a domain name with freenetname but was not prepared to pay the £s. I did not log into the account for 90 days (I think it was) so I defaulted. They wrote to me saying that in order to keep the name and account I would now have to pay. The renewal was due and I did not pay and asked freenetname how long it was until they changed the TAG to DETAGGED, they said a couple of weeks. Next thing I knew was that they had renewed the domain. I complained saying I did not want it renewed and was told they would detag it. They then agreed to change the tag for nothing. Bye bye freenetname for £0
I have to say though, do check the T&C first, as I have just done on the PLusNet forum.
As for relinguishing a name. If you are the Registrant and when the domain is up for renewal, the ISP should detag it. After all, Nominet are going to want their fee. If it is detagged then you can ask Nominet to change the tag, this is free, to your new ISP. If they do not detag it, again you can ask Nominet to help although this can take longer.

> Pam, It is quite common for a host to charge a fee to release your domain name IPS Tag.
>
> I've ran into this with Freenetname. They want a 94ukp 'administration fee' to realease the IPS tag so I can use it for my Plus.Net webspace instead.
> I won't bother and Nominet are unlikely to assist as the terms and conditions clearly stated the charge.
>
> Maybe not a solution in your case but, as Freenetname webspace is free, all I will instead do is a bit of javascript page redirection. Anyone visiting that domain name will instantly be redirected to my Plus.Net pages.
>
> To add further insult, there is no mechanism for an ISP to relinquish a domain name after a period of non-usage. They can just hold onto the name until you pay up. :mad:
>
> David
>

N/A

I fail to see how it is quite common, I've never come across this before from the ISP's I've dealt with. If you've paid for the domain, you've paid for the hosting (no doubt over the odds in both cases), then if the company doesn't provide the service you should be able to change. There's nothing standard about it. It takes no time at all to do and requires not real administration as the whole change over process is electronic. All they are doing is screwing you for more cash before you leave and at the end of the day, they have you over a barell 'cos if you don't pay, you don't get it moved.