cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phpbb running intermittantly slow.

N/A

I have just setup a phpbb forum on my webspace. It all appears to be working ok.

However, frequenty the pages take a very long time to load. The cgi server seems ok its self. I am wondering if the SQL servers are overloaded and this is causing the delays?

50-80% of the time the pages load instantly. The rest of the time the delay is not acceptable and could cause people to browse away. My database is currently tiny as there is only one test posting on the site so it really can't be that the php scripts are doing that much work can it?

Any comments anyone?

Do the php scripts go and do some processor/database intensive housekeeping one in a while even if the database is very very small?

Is there a way to log activity? perhaps to see if the delays are the SQL server. Anyone done any PHP mods to do this kind of thing or logging?

Any suggestions from anyone? I would like to get it running smoothly before I get "real" users.

I suppose it could be something at my end? But I don't get this kind of behavour to other websites from my connection.
8 REPLIES
N/A

What database server are you on? Humbug certainly seems to be slow, and I believe they were looking into rebuilding it - but its not slow enough to warrant a status posting apparently:
This hasn't been put on service status as although the server isn't operating as well as we would like it to, it is still working well enough for most sites.

I've also seen reports that rumpus is occasionally slow, too.

[You might need to login as guest/guest to read the thread]
N/A

rumpus

I am on rumpus
N/A

Re: rumpus

I am on rumpus

Me too, and it's cr*p. Traffic on my phpBB forum is way down as people just give up waiting.
N/A

is anyone going to do anything about this?
N/A

is anyone going to do anything about this?

I contacted force9 and got the usual 'we don't do technical support for CGI' crap.
N/A

I see, well something should be done as a working cgi and sql server are included in our service costs so we should get a working cgi and sql server.

Perhaps a post on customer feedback is in order, maybe someone will listen there?
N/A

The only solution really is to vote with your feet. Force9 have made it abundantly clear what they think about customer service (unnecessary expense) so do what I'm doing - look for a better alternative and just go.
N/A

this is a shame. i have only just migrated into f9 from another provider.

The broadband seems ok, actually I used to use f9 about 8 years ago when I had dialup all the cgi/sql servers etc back then and the customer service was excellent. It looks like things have changed for the worse in the last few years?

I think I may be stuck here for a while after migrating, but i am quite happy with the actual internet ISP its just the other stuff is not good enough.

Does anyone know what the difference is between premiere and PLUS? Do you still get the SQL and CGI with plus? I know the contention ratio is worse on plus and there is traffic shaping. will VoIP (skype/sipgate) be ok on plus. I think the IP address is dynamic on plus too?

If yes (voip ok) then I could change to plus and use the money saved to get a decent hosting cgi and sql hosting elsewhere as I am not a frequent big file downloader anyway. Are there any other restrictions on PLUS, I currently run a simple apache server at home so I can get my files while at the office etc, is this blocked (eg incomming connection block) on plus?