cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phpBB...?

N/A

phpBB...?

I'm new to this particular forum, but I can't help but notice its striking similarity to phpBB.

If the code for it is derived from that package, surely it should carry a credit somewhere? I've not noticed any.
20 REPLIES
thetribe

phpBB...?

Yes it is phpBB, but as far as I'm aware it is a heavily modified version of phpBB and although it doesn't visibly show the copyright notice it is still there in the source, which is allowed by the phpBB team (although they'd prefer it to stay)

May I remove the copyright from the footer?
While the phpbb group would appreciate it, if you would let the copyright message stay, you actually may remove it. However you will not get any official support from the phpbb group or the support team.
pennymachines
Dabbler

phpBB...?

I also host a heavily modified version of phpBB, but still feel it would be unfair and inappropriate not to display the phpBB forum credit link on the page footer.

I cannot find any phpBB copyright notice (except PlusNet's own), not even in the source page of this forum.

Very bad form PlusNet.
N/A

phpBB...?

I'm sure there used to be some reference to phpBB somewhere, but having scanned the various help and FAQ pages, the closest I can find is a reference to a link to the phpBB website at the bottom of the page (there isn't one!)
Perhaps it used to be there, and some well meaning dev type person 'cleaned' it up?

Does anybody else remember a link?
N/A

phpBB...?

It does get a mention and a link in the welcome post here

I reckon that covers most of the bases.

I seem to remember this coming up a couple of times over the years tbh, but cant remember the official line right now unfortunately. Sad
Community Veteran

phpBB...?

I think that sticky needs a little updating; seeing as Liam now works for plusnet Tongue
pennymachines
Dabbler

phpBB...?

Whatever... copyright notices don't get removed by accident.
N/A

phpBB...?

PHPBB is poop anyway. Its not worth the code its made with lol.

Its no wonder the forum is always laggy.

Although I thought the license on it meant you couldnt use it for commercial purposes? Surely customer support and so on is a commercial purpose.

I dont know, but I'd rather PN bought something decent rather than using some freeware trash every hick with webspace is using lol.

So I agree, come on PN. Its unfair to be so harsh on PHPBB, display some more links to them. Promote their business some more (*chuckles to himself* - "I bet they would rather buy a new forum than do this"). Tongue
Community Veteran

phpBB...?

I think that sticky needs a little updating; seeing as Liam now works for plusnet Tongue

It will get updated once the new Moderator to replace Liam has been elected.
N/A

phpBB...?

A new mod is being elected?!

Dont ask me! I was well keen until I read this:

I put a tenner on the fact that John and the other op's are on a much better traffic shaping profile to the rest of us.

It's news to me if I am :?
There ain't no perks for being a Mod Sad

Pffft. I get ripped off enough Wink
Community Veteran

phpBB...?

Although I thought the license on it meant you couldnt use it for commercial purposes? Surely customer support and so on is a commercial purpose.

It's released under the GPL which means they can pretty much do what they like with it (within reason). They could even put it on CDs and sell it at £5 / CD if they wanted.

To me the main problem with phpBB is spambots which are a right pain :/ ; this is the only forum using it I've ever found to be particularly slow and tbh the whole portal is a bit slow so I don't think it's phpBB slowing it down
N/A

phpBB...?

I dont know, they should trial out a new forum and see if it works better, less stutters and the dead pages on loading. Its really annoying and the reason I stopped posting for so many months.

I come back and its still the same. If they cant even fix a forum or whatever is behind these problems related to the forum - is there any hope for all the customers who have real issues?!

Bah lol, I think not.

I think this forum makes a bold and accurate statement about PN as a company. Nice eye candy.. Shame about the rest.
N/A

phpBB...?

To me the main problem with phpBB is spambots which are a right pain :/ ...

A simple Mod can help prevent spambots though. Wink

Easy BotStopper

There are only two pages to Modify:

includes/usercp_register.php

And:

templates/subSilver/profile_add_body.tpl

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
includes/usercp_register.php

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#
$unhtml_specialchars_match = array('#&#', '#&#', '#&#', '#&#');
$unhtml_specialchars_replace = array('>', '<', '"', '&');

#
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------
#

if ( $mode == 'editprofile' )
{
$template->assign_block_vars('only_show_notbot', array());
}

#
#
if ( !($row = $db->sql_fetchrow($result)) )
{
message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, 'Could not obtain next user_id information', '', __LINE__, __FILE__, $sql);
}
$user_id = $row['total'] + 1;

#
#
if( $website != '' )
{
die();
}

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
templates/subSilver/profile_add_body.tpl

#
#
<tr>
<td class="row1"><span class="gen">{L_WEBSITE}:</span></td>

#
#-----[ BEFORE, ADD ]------------------------------------------
#
<!-- BEGIN only_show_notbot -->

#
#
<input type="text" class="post" style="width: 200px" name="website" size="25" maxlength="255" value="{WEBSITE}" />
</td>
</tr>

#
#
<!-- END only_show_notbot -->

#
#-----[ SAVE/CLOSE ALL FILES ]------------------------------------------
#
# EoM

This MOD works by making website field invisible during registration. Spam bot that uses auto-registration script which provides a website URL will be detected and stopped.
Community Veteran

phpBB...?

Personally I look at a system based on what it's vanilla set of files are capable of; as opposed to what can be done by modifying those files.
N/A

phpBB...?

I agree, but most forums need to be modified to fit the needs of the community who will be using those forums.