cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

% pay rises

N/A

% pay rises

Why do pay rises work in percentages ,when everything else ,like my electric bill and fines are increased in fix ammounts. For example, Pricess Ann has received a fine of 500 pounds for the dog thing.It Cost more than that to revamp secutity, so she could go to court.

Also when a loaf of bread goes up in price, say 5 pence, it goes up 5 pence for everyone. It doesnt go up by a percentage .

So i propose all pay rises from now on should be fixed amounts. the same for everybody in a company. This will make many more people happy ,as the majority of people will beneifit from this, Not just the rich top.
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: % pay rises

That's still a percentage pay rise but biased towards the lower earners... this is called a non-linear scale!

Life revolves around percentages because percentages relate an increase or decrease to where you are at now. If you are familiar with a guy called Fibonacci.. you'll understand; if not it might be worth looking him up.

:bounce:
N/A

If low earners got higher percentage pay increases than high earners, then perhaps more income tax could be collected to fund our heath and education systems. The higher the minimum wage, the more they get.

N/A

If you earn say £300 per week and your wages went up by £15 per week every year, your current 5% increase in years to come would be worthless and thats not in tune with inflation (which works in percentages).
N/A

> If you earn say £300 per week and your wages went up by £15 per week every year, your current 5% increase in years to come would be worthless and thats not in tune with inflation (which works in percentages).
>
Exactly..

Percentages are ratios... any change has to be related to the original values. Fixed-amount changes run out of steam very quickly because they become a smaller percentage of the original as time goes by, unless inflation is at and stays at 0%!
N/A

I'd like to see the National Minimum Wage increased for a start. The Low Pay Unit recommends £5.38 per hour.

Have a look at

http://www.lowpayunit.org.uk/research/lpthreshold02.shtml
N/A

> I'd like to see the National Minimum Wage increased for a start. The Low Pay Unit recommends £5.38 per hour.
>
> Have a look at
>
> http://www.lowpayunit.org.uk/research/lpthreshold02.shtml

I agree in part to what's being said here, however, it won't be as easy to implement this as this would cause job losses on a larger scale to that being experienced now (not related to minimum pay it must be said). Having said this there is a need to keep in line with inflation (or national wage increases - better still) and increase the minimum wage accordingly.
N/A

Pay Rise??!!