cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

opening IExplorer in a new window.

Community Veteran

OK. No response to the last one. Try this.

When I have an Internet Explorer window open, and click on the icon to open a second one. The open window closes. It didn't do this before, and I don't know what's changed.

I can't even use the "back" button, because the new window opens and the old one closes. I can't find an option to allow more than one window.

Is this another over the top Win XP safety feature, which can't be changed (like not being able to update device drivers, unless you're in safe mode) :?:

Or has one of my kids changed a setting without realising what they've done :?:

Help, it's really driving me mad Evil

John
3 REPLIES
N/A

Re: opening IExplorer in a new window.

When I have an Internet Explorer window open, and click on the icon to open a second one. The open window closes. It didn't do this before, and I don't know what's changed.

Is this another over the top Win XP safety feature, which can't be changed (like not being able to update device drivers, unless you're in safe mode) :?:

It's not a standard XP feature, that much is certain. As an aside, I'm intrigued by your comments on updating drivers - none of my XP machines needs to be in safe mode for driver updates.

Like you, I'm not aware of any setting which would cause this behaviour (or any good reason for having one). I suspect it's more likely that some third-party software is causing this. Do you use any additional toolbars (Google, Yahoo etc), and have you checked the machine for spyware/adware?

Have you tried re-installing IE? It's a while since I've tried this since I rarely use IE, but I'm pretty sure you can re-install over an existing installation, which should replace any corrupted files. In theory, at least.

Good luck!
Peter
Community Veteran

Thanks for the reply

By trial and error I got to the Yahoo messenger task bar (which wasn't in use, but was installed), after uninstalling it, Ieplorer works as it did before!

As for the drivers bit. I found that certain hardware updated drivers wouldn't load, and after some discussions and internet searching found out that on XP home edition, you must be in safe mode to update certain drivers! (it's not necessary on XP professional)

I have the additional problem, that I use a USB cordless keyboad and mouse, so at the point you need to access the startup menu, I can't use them yet!

In order to update drivers, I would have to plug in a standard mouse and keyboard, which would mean getting the base unit out of the desk unit it's in etc (a lot of unnecessary hassle) :roll:

John
N/A

As for the drivers bit. I found that certain hardware updated drivers wouldn't load, and after some discussions and internet searching found out that on XP home edition, you must be in safe mode to update certain drivers! (it's not necessary on XP professional)

Ah, that figures. Thankfully I've managed to avoid XP Home.

Glad you managed to resolve your problem Smiley
Peter