cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

online (for now)

N/A

online (for now)

My ADSL is curently up for the second time. It's now working. BUT. I keep loosing the connection and my router config tells me that the ADSL is up but the internet is connecting. It does this for ages.

Now I've a connection again but for how long?

Any suggestions?

ROn
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: online (for now)

On through my PSTN connection and wondering what I am doing wrong.

My ADSL still sits live with the internet "Connecting" but nothing happens then, all of a sudden I'm away, the connection is fine. When I shut down & reboot all is dead again.

How do I force ADSL to connect. How do I monitor the connection. The ADSL light on the router is lit, The LAN light is on.

Ron
N/A

> My ADSL is curently up for the second time. It's now working. BUT. I keep loosing the connection and my router config tells me that the ADSL is up but the internet is connecting. It does this for ages.
>
> Now I've a connection again but for how long?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> ROn

Hi,
Yes!this is one of the things I get quite annoyed about. ADSL is over hyped to get people to buy it,it is described as "Always on" this is not the trueth as far as I see it. ADSL should be more accurately described as "ALMOST" always on. ADSL sits between a basic dialup service & a high speed business network (LAN)where the connection is permanent. ADSL can be torn down & put back up as required,my longest connection since I've had ADSL has been 14days without interuption.

Further the other thing that often happens with ADSL is that your equipment will look as if it has a connection (a signal to the phone exchange)but in reality it has lost the ability to send/receive data so in effect you have lost the connection but it still looks like you have one,its very confusing if nobody tells you about this. You would have to re-boot the modem or router to re-establish the connection. Also sometimes the line card at the phone exchange requires resetting which involves shutting down your modem/router for about 10 or 12 secs this allows the BT line card to re-set itself things normally work fine after this from my experience. I find that ADSL is an excellent technology I despite these limitations & annoyances it is good value for money.

--
N/A

Hi Guys,

ADSL is a connection that can always be connected, and is designed to be 'always on'. Personally, until the recent maintainance, when ALL ADSL lines were forced to disconnect, I had a connection uptime on my router of nearly 200 days. Other customers had even more impressive records.

The reality is that a lot does depend on the equipment in use. A Cisco ADSL router (At nearly £300) DOES perform much more relaibly than a £50 USB ADSL modem...

If you set a windows box to "Always dial my default connection" and setup your email to check for new messages at startup and then every couple of minutes, you should find that your ADSL connection is automatically made live when you boot your computer and is ready whenever you need to access to the Internet.

I will re-iterate, the only way to really see the always on nature of ADSL is to run a good quality ADSL router which is independant from all other hardware.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
F9 Customer Support