cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

news service restrictions

N/A

news service restrictions

I understand (from browsing adslguide.org.uk)that your cheapest home ADSL service has some restrictions on the news service. Can you explain what these are. Will this service be more restricted than my current connect lite user account?
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: news service restrictions

Our most low-cost ADSL account (ADSL home surf) priced at £20.99.

This account does not allow binaries to be downloaded from any news feed.

For a non restricted home ADSL account why not go for our ADSL home Self install priced at only £2 more. If binaries and P2P software is important to you, then you need the £22.99 account.

You can of course have a monthly contract ADSL home Surf and if you decide you do need to upgrade you can giving us 30 days notice.

Kind Regards

Kevin

--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support ................. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

Sorry to be a pain but I'm not familiar with all these terms. What is Peer 2 Peer and when do binaries need to be downloaded from a newsfeed? In the past I have only browsed news articles in text using Outlook and I'm not aware that any had files attached. Do some newsfeeds use HTML or other fancy graphic modes? Do I presume that you're trying to avoid usage by people who are continually downloading large numbers of news articles with with large binary files attached?

My main reason for going broadband is to be able to download larger files than is reasonably possible with dialup, particularly as I intend to be getting into Linux, but I don't see this as related to newsfeeds. I didn't expect this to be a very high usage so thought the £20.99 service would be ok. Also as you say I can upgrade later if needed, although I don't want to start on a service which is likely be inadequate from outset. I don't intend playing games. Can I watch videos?

> Our most low-cost ADSL account (ADSL home surf) priced at £20.99.
>
> This account does not allow binaries to be downloaded from any news feed.
>
> For a non restricted home ADSL account why not go for our ADSL home Self install priced at only £2 more. If binaries and P2P software is important to you, then you need the £22.99 account.
>
> You can of course have a monthly contract ADSL home Surf and if you decide you do need to upgrade you can giving us 30 days notice.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Kevin
>
> --
> | Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support ................. for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

N/A

I don't know about the news binary files but Peer to Peer (or p2p) are networks without the need the client/server model. They're basically networks that let you share files with other users who use the p2p program. (like kazaa/morpheus if you've heard of them)

N/A

Some would argue that the Peer-to-Peer paradigm is restoring the concept of the Internet to what it had been before its commercial exploitation -- where each host has equivalent status to any other host. (IBM has had "Advanced Peer-to-Peer Communications", APPC, and "Advanced Peer-to-Peer Networking", APPN, technologies for decades, albeit for SNA rather than TCP/IP networks.) And that ADSL technologies, NAT, firewalls, etc, are all to some extent inimical to the P2P model -- a fascinating (at least, I found it so!) introduction to this may be seen at http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/peertopeer/chapter/ch01.html

Personally, I don't use P2P or binary newsgroups, and I suspect most ordinary users don't, either. The Home Surf account will not prevent you from downloading CD images of Linux distributions.