cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

networking D-link 504 Using XP pro and win 98se

N/A

networking D-link 504 Using XP pro and win 98se

I have a D-link 504 (combined router, and adsl modem, which is connected to broadband. From two of the ports I have 1 PC running win XP Pro and from the other machine I am using Win 98se. Both machines are working happily talking and downloading from the net. BUT.... I can't get file sharing to work or networking to work. I initially ran the network wizard on the XP machine; selecting residatnial gateway as my connection. Then followed all the instructions on screen and then placed the floppy that was created by XP into my Win98se machine all seemed to go OK. I rebooted both machines as requested. My problem is that when I go to network neighbourhood in Win98se I do not have an icon for my XP machine!! and when I click on "entire network" it says "unable to browse the network" then mysteriously an icon with my machine then appears in the network neighbourhood. But still not the other XP machine.When I go to the XP machine it says "The network path is not found" I have gone to MSDOS prompt and tried using the ping command, which shows that both computers are talking to each other. (i.e. 192.168.0.1 and 2 and 3, which relates to the 504, the XP and the Win machine). I have tried re wizarding to see if this cures the problem all to no avail. Can NE1 help, before I pull out all my hair! thanks Alan
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: networking D-link 504 Using XP pro and win 98se

start from the begining xp should have an ip address 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask of
255.255.255.0 and a default gateway of your rooters ip dns set to 194.119.131.66 & 194.119.131.65 ensure you dont have the firewall option set on.

Win98 should have a ip 192.168.0.2 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway again set to your rooter ip. dns set to 194.119.131.66 & 194.119.131.65

The key is having the same subnet mask.
Ensure that the pc are in the rooter ok and not on a uplink socket.

Try pinging each pc from dos if ok you should be working.

On each pc set up a shared directory right click on a dir and set it to share. Make sure you login to both pc(dont escape win9Cool use the same username and password on each pc. See if you can now see it in the network if not go to dos on xp and type

net use n:\\win98pcname\the name you shared your dir as. ie

net use n:\\win98\mygames

This should kick into life. If it still doesnt work run winipcfg on 98 and ipconfig /all on xp and let us know the results.

> I have a D-link 504 (combined router, and adsl modem, which is connected to broadband. From two of the ports I have 1 PC running win XP Pro and from the other machine I am using Win 98se. Both machines are working happily talking and downloading from the net. BUT.... I can't get file sharing to work or networking to work. I initially ran the network wizard on the XP machine; selecting residatnial gateway as my connection. Then followed all the instructions on screen and then placed the floppy that was created by XP into my Win98se machine all seemed to go OK. I rebooted both machines as requested. My problem is that when I go to network neighbourhood in Win98se I do not have an icon for my XP machine!! and when I click on "entire network" it says "unable to browse the network" then mysteriously an icon with my machine then appears in the network neighbourhood. But still not the other XP machine.When I go to the XP machine it says "The network path is not found" I have gone to MSDOS prompt and tried using the ping command, which shows that both computers are talking to each other. (i.e. 192.168.0.1 and 2 and 3, which relates to the 504, the XP and the Win machine). I have tried re wizarding to see if this cures the problem all to no avail. Can NE1 help, before I pull out all my hair! thanks Alan

N/A

RE: networking D-link 504 Using XP pro and win 98se

192.168.0.1 is the address for the 504, 0.2 is for the XP and 0.3 is for the Win 98SE. The 0.1 is automatically allocated when you set up the router. The other addresses relate to the order in which eavh device was set up. The DNS address is set to plus net's servers.(you my have a different DNS server?? The sub net masks are set to 255.255.255.0 on both machines.With all CAT5 cables correctly attached.As earlier pinging each connection works fine. But still no F & P sharing. I have also set up shared files and printer. The workgroup I have set up is MSHOME. But as earlier. When i first visit network Neighbourhood nothing shows. then when I hit the back button entire network and my machine (Win98se) appears, but not the XP.